WELCOME TO JURASSIC FOREST!

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

WELCOME TO JURASSIC FOREST!

Post by EvilGrins »

The downside of every Jurassic Park / Jurassic World story has always been "sounds like a fun idea" but things always get out of hand and dinosaurs need to be killed.

So, why not have InGen (International Genetic Technologies) instead make a hunting preserve where guests can hunt dinosaurs?

As that's more or less what tends to happen anyway.

Yet another edit of the original DarkForest map. While I can no longer edit maps I can test them and this map (luckily) is complete.

Usual assortment of various dinosaurs on it, for you and your team to hunt down and kill (or be eaten by as the case may be) along with some random other things.

What would any Jurassic experience be without InGen staff to make things unnecessarily complicated...
...am I right?

Also, as all my old DarkForest edits had...
...there's a Grim Reaper on the map.

For the most part this shouldn't be a problem, it's located in an all but impossible part of the map to access (fortunately) but in the event someone foolishly or accidentally shoots it... it will rain down unholy chaos on every living thing on the map.

Try to not let that happen.

Usual Suspects:
.u - /system
.umx - /music
.unr - /maps
.png - Pwetty!

Enjoy!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/hern24r8 ... EST_JW.zip

Oh, by the way (as a friend continually gripes on this) if you already have BPak.u on your system you don't need to use the version in the .zip as there's multiple versions of this file and they're all compatible; unless someone made a new one recently I'm unfamiliar with.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: WELCOME TO JURASSIC FOREST!

Post by OjitroC »

Good fun this :gj:

The Park Rangers are a nice idea - good skin - gave me an idea for a ScriptedPawn for MonsterSpawn.

Must say I have never really studied the MHPredator closely before but it's a pity that it is not animated better - the movements are really stiff and very unlike The Predator - oh well.

Pity also that the GrimReaper generates a lot of log spam because of a typo in the TweenToPatrolStop function - it calls the animation 'Readsm' which doesn't exist in the TGrimReaper mesh but it should be 'Treadsm' - not sure how that could have been missed in compiling and testing the model (from U4E). The code is obfuscated but I may be able to amend that part of the code to put in the right animation name in my local GrimReaper u file.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:09 pmThe Park Rangers are a nice idea - good skin - gave me an idea for a ScriptedPawn for MonsterSpawn.
OjitroC wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:09 pmMust say I have never really studied the MHPredator closely before but it's a pity that it is not animated better
Still better than the complete monster package version: MH-AVP.u
OjitroC wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:09 pmI may be able to amend that part of the code to put in the right animation name in my local GrimReaper u file.
Let me know how that goes.
Hitman
Adept

Post by Hitman »

This is a map I got from thunderbolt looong time ago and converted MH
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Hitman wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:38 am This is a map I got from thunderbolt looong time ago and converted MH
I know, we talked about it years ago on Hermskii's forum.

I've made a few edits off it · https://unreal-games.livejournal.com/116266.html
jmartin
Skilled

Post by jmartin »

Nice work on the Skaarj skins. That's one park ranger you don't want to tangle with :gj:

In order to restore your UnrealEd, why not just go out and buy an old beater laptop, (if you're from Silicon Valley they probably grow on trees), install UT and don't over mod it. Or keep a second installation for experiments. That way if one blows up, you still have a backup copy.
Baardman
Skilled

Post by Baardman »

hi payed your map and those dinosaurs are pretty strong, i dont think they could handle all that damage if this was real and keep attacking lol. its my first time playing monsterhunt so maybe that is normal
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Baardman wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:02 am hi payed your map and those dinosaurs are pretty strong, i dont think they could handle all that damage if this was real and keep attacking lol. its my first time playing monsterhunt so maybe that is normal
Real? What is this "real" that you speak of??

This is UnReal!
jmartin wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:26 amIn order to restore your UnrealEd, why not just go out and buy an old beater laptop
If only it were that simple.

One of my anti-virus programs removed something, but not from UT. It's a main file (no idea what) on my system which is negatively effecting other programs too.

Sadly the anti-virus program in question doesn't make a log file, or I'd've identified what it got rid of.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:10 pm One of my anti-virus programs removed something, but not from UT. It's a main file (no idea what) on my system which is negatively effecting other programs too.

Sadly the anti-virus program in question doesn't make a log file, or I'd've identified what it got rid of.
I haven't had Windows for many years now but I presume that there is an app like a EventViewer that will indicate what happens when you try to run those programs that are affected - this should indicate the files or processes that can't be found?

Presumably your Editor in 469 is affected as well?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:13 pmPresumably your Editor in 469 is affected as well?
Yep.

Also why my newer screenshots aren't as SHARP as they used to be, as the "sharpening" option no longer works in ThumbsPlus either when I convert graphics.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

The file that has been removed is obviously required to run the Editor but not to run the game - perhaps someone on here can identify what that file might be?

Perhaps the anti-virus is blocking a process rather than having removed a file?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Yeah ...Antivirus ...what great invention.
Especially when they don't log what they are doing.

When I used AVs I set them up to warn and show and let me decide what to do.
Often was it a false positive.

First step to avoid using AVs ...two accounts, one heavily password protected and set to admin, second account can do nothing without the Admin PW set to user.
When ever something tries to install on the second account in the background the prompt for the Admin PW pops up and you know instantly something is fishy.
Never use the first account for browsing or daily work.
A simple AV like Defender is enough and it's set to only show the file which does the ruckus.
Just saying.
Baardman
Skilled

Post by Baardman »

anyone know why i cant join server i get mismatch, i installed 613 MH, is it because i have Unreal T 469d?
jmartin
Skilled

Post by jmartin »

EvilGrins wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:15 pm
Also why my newer screenshots aren't as SHARP as they used to be, as the "sharpening" option no longer works in ThumbsPlus either when I convert graphics.
Did you try going back to a previous System Restore point? (Windows only I assume).
Attachments
SysRestore.jpg
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

jmartin wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:32 pm
EvilGrins wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:15 pm
Did you try going back to a previous System Restore point? (Windows only I assume).
Actually forgot about that.

Some concern of what I'd lose. Does that remove content that was newly made since the date specified?