DM-Osiris

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
browndl
Skilled

DM-Osiris

Post by browndl »

This is a map made by LuniC/Nix. I am releasing (with his permission) the map with bot pathing so that it would be playable to a broader audience.

https://www.ut99maps.net/maps/sniper/DM ... Pathed.zip

Map intro produced by Nix:

Some bot play:
UT99 DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Re: DM-Osiris

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Cool, though I would always recommend watching out for map names, especially because
https://unreal.fandom.com/wiki/Recurring_maps#Osiris
Osiris was an official map made as console exclusive but even released/recovered from ps2ut pre-release material (only the maps) that we got supplied at one point.

If they didn't abandon some plans those console maps could have even made it into another bonuspack at one point.

https://unreal.fandom.com/wiki/DOM-Osiris_(UT_map)

The ps2 beta specificaly had this map playable as DM-Osiris iirc. I mean I would suggest keeping the Osiris name (for next time for the original author), but changing the name to something like OsirisTemple or whatever.
Delacroix
Adept
Personal rank: UMS R&D CEO

Post by Delacroix »

This one is named DM-[NES]Osiris so it's fine.
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

And THIS one, the one this thread was made for, is actually named DM-[NES]OsirisPATHED.unr So, I don't think there is any worries to be had over the naming, of THIS one, nor for the one that Nix made originally.
UT99 DM-DSKilnWorks3993:DM-DSWashNDry:DM-DSRedDawn:DM-DSBacktoSchool:DM-DSTowerBridge:DM-DSDeadeyeCanyon:DM-DSSectionn8Refinery:DM-DeckardsRevenge:DM-DSStudio:DM-SniperTown:DM-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-Wastelands:DM-TurboGen23:DM-LongForgotten:DOM-Dockside:CTF-enMakhana:CTF-UrbanSniper:CTF-CanyonWars:CTF-DSTowerBridge Unreal Badlands CiderTown UT99 Infiltration DM-INF-MagnumDocksDeluxe:DM-INF-MagnumDocks2:DM-INF-ReturntotheKillingFields:DM-INF-CityStorageLotA][:DM-INF-ColumbianDrugLord:EAS-INF-DS-RailBridge:DM-INF-ACityBlock:CTF-INF-SavageKillersHeadQuarters:CTF-INF-Capital:CTF-INF-ComplexB UT2003/04 DM-PineValley:DM-Koltoff:CTF-PawnsKeep:CTF-Ardimus Rainbow Six RavenShield AlleyStrike
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Ah, its just based on the thread name and the zip file, I was afraid the original might be named just DM-Osiris. But still, it might confuse some people and might think its related to the console exclusive map.

edit:
viewtopic.php?t=15836

why is the first post gone?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:59 pm viewtopic.php?t=15836

why is the first post gone?
The OP (LuniC/Nix) removed it (them - a lot have gone). I suspect (well, pretty certain) that he got fed up with criticism that the maps weren't pathed and with having to keep telling people they were sniper maps intended to be played by humans (and not bots).

Pity as his maps are always good quality with a wide range of settings (some based on other games) and use of fairly uncommon textures. So an unfortunate (over?) reaction but understandable - who wants to get into fruitless arguments when they don't need to?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Leo(T.C.K.) wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:59 pm why is the first post gone?
Because that member edited it out and destroyed his threads.
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

I cannot say that I agree with what Nix did to his posts in response to feedback he received; I cannot say I agree, but I certainly can relate.

Take this thread as a case in point... A level designer makes a great map- sure it is specific to a certain audience, but it is his map. But then another level designer comes through and adds bot pathing hoping that will broaden that audience, and the only response given is an irrelevant comment on naming conventions. I say irrelevant comment as all it would take is for one to glance at the two videos included in the post to realize that this is a different map, and further upon downloading it would be apparent that the map is indeed a different name.

How quickly would interest in this game fade if good level designers decided to quit producing and releasing maps?
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

""How quickly would interest in this game fade if good level designers decided to quit producing and releasing maps?""

Need to be hardened tough from the Nalicity days

A bunch of people put all ones on the map and all they say is, this map sucks. Lol
I think everyone is too touchy these days.
I was constantly criticized for making Quake 1 BSP rip maps look the same as in Quake, But that was my goal and they just kept saying it,,,still here !! :D

And it was pretty damn hard long and tedious making those things. still got one left I want to finish someday.
Binary Space Partitioning
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

Red_Fist wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:58 am ""How quickly would interest in this game fade if good level designers decided to quit producing and releasing maps?""

Need to be hardened tough from the Nalicity days

A bunch of people put all ones on the map and all they say is, this map sucks. Lol
I remember those days lol.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I didn't confuse the maps and I saw from the previews that it was a very different map, but still some people (including me) might be lured into the thread thinking it has to do with the console map or a recreation of the later version of the map from ut2kx...
That's a valid criticism that has nothing to do with the mapper abilities or whatsoever.

I do find some of the people who complain about pathing worse though... I mean because the same individuals are told the same thing over and over and they keep coming to those threads. But...deleting posts is a little too much. I think he doesn't realize how good those maps are in general(by the looks of things). And what a godsend they might be to many people.

I remember makemeunreal doing a similar thing a way back and I never agreed honestly. I wouldn't just erase anything, I am even wary of editing old posts, I usually add content to my posts but not remove them, even if I went across the line, I don't try to hide my mistakes.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

I'm eager to see how this map plays with other weapon mods like NW3 or FF. :mrgreen:
browndl
Skilled

Post by browndl »

papercoffee wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:46 pm I'm eager to see how this map plays with other weapon mods like NW3 or FF. :mrgreen:
What are NW3 and FF?
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

browndl wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:47 pm
papercoffee wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:46 pm I'm eager to see how this map plays with other weapon mods like NW3 or FF. :mrgreen:
What are NW3 and FF?

Nali Weapons 3
- A heavy weapon mod with new weapons and mechanics, like for example sacrificing a weapon to spawn a devastating killing entity like a laser turret which shoots through walls or a giant grim reaper slashing the opponents ...they are all stationary and very rare to get.
And a lot more awesome stuff.

Food Fight - a silly weapon mod with new weapons that shoot food to kill. The sniper Rifle has no scope but is the most accurate weapon ever :ironic:
Also a new Bombing Run like game mode where the teams have to take a Burger-Bomb and get it to the opposing team.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

You can also try some realistic weapon mods like counter strike source weapons etc. I find myself often playing with those and finding it much more fun than counter strike on itself which I don't play anymore and haven't played for a while. Somehow it just feels so much better under UT lol.