DM-CthonicTemple

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Novaeon
Average

DM-CthonicTemple

Post by Novaeon »

Hello,

Started this level back in 2021 and have worked on it on and off for a while and pretty much finished it back in the beginning of this year and haven't touched it since, so I figured it was time to release it.
There's a BSP error sometimes underwater, but I can't find any solution to it and it's kind of out of the way, so I'm just calling the level done at this point.

Download is attached below.

Screenshots:
Attachments
DM-CthonicTemple.zip
(905.62 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
fudgonaut
Adept
Personal rank: Easy Target

Re: DM-CthonicTemple

Post by fudgonaut »

Beautiful map, very atmospheric :tu:
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Looking good man, wish it could be part of a MH (or SP) map sometime. :tu:
Binary Space Partitioning
a9902957@nepwk.com
Experienced

Post by a9902957@nepwk.com »

Nice map!
Plays well with MushMatch ( viewtopic.php?t=14820 ) version 1.3.3 (which has not seen a release build
publication on its GitHub home as of yet for some reason).
The long corridors can at least have you see the spore shots coming and a pillar or another opening to duck into is always close by.
Also nicely connected and sound cues from nearby work well for MushMatch here.

I attached my build of 1.3.3
Here is the link to the license for the code (which you could glean from the unobfuscated .u files):
https://github.com/wallabra/MushMatch/b ... LICENSE.md

You might also want add to add to its ini in the [MushMatch-20230306,MushMatch] section:
bAlwaysAutoSpot=False

which just might be the default, also might not I do not recall now.
Better safe and explicit I guess.
Well if you also prefer this option set like that anyway.
Attachments
MushMatch-20230306.zip
(2.25 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Good map, though from the screenshots you provided I thought it would be bigger...
...yet it seems in-game to be both smaller & bigger than I initially thought.

Bots seem to go everywhere, although I accidentally tested the map with 16 bots (whoops) so I may need to give it another run-thru with less.

The water way runs the length of the entire map...
Image Image Image
...which was nice to have more than a one spot area for that.

I may've missed it but I didn't see any jump-boots anywhere...
...begging the question of how does one get to that amplifier up there.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Novaeon
Average

Post by Novaeon »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:52 pm I may've missed it but I didn't see any jump-boots anywhere...
There's a secret passage that leads to a drop through the ceiling ;)
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:52 pm I may've missed it but I didn't see any jump-boots anywhere...
There's a passageway up over the top of it and a hole to drop down through on to it - bots probably won't get it though as PathsChecker reports that the UDamage and the HealthVial above can not be picked up (no path in to the healthvial though there is a path out). Bots can't get to the Redeemer, which may or may not be an issue, nor to the armor.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

There is a flawed placement of some navigation nodes anyway... things are not working this way. WATER nodes are in WATER not in air. Landing spots are in landing place not elsewhere in air. COMBO that is passing nearby Armor is... USELESS. That path has 1000+ UU which is calculated as longer than nearby points.
A Test: From PathNode43 Bot which is moving for HealthVial7 won't walk nearby Armor (which has ZERO incoming paths after all). Armor might be taken in a combat situation as it is not a navigation goal at all.
CTempl_SpotTest.PNG
There should be two combos or such - or manually connecting armor with a direct visible Node around using user defined ReachSpecs (perhaps two manual specs are enough).

But... these are easy to solve - to summarize this is a good piece.
jmartin
Skilled

Post by jmartin »

Very well done.

One of the more enjoyable maps I've played lately. Classic theme, plenty of run-around space. Secret areas are a nice touch. I like how it uses only 100% default textures and audio. You don't see that very often. Very classic UT.

A+
Szaroldal

Post by Szaroldal »

Novaeon wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:53 pm There's a BSP error sometimes underwater, but I can't find any solution to it and it's kind of out of the way, so I'm just calling the level done at this point.
The origin of your bsp problem is the rock in under the pipe in the middle underwater room.
nickelo
Average

Post by nickelo »

Good map, and small download load, upped to my server and tested.
UT Server in Spain, home served @ 1GB symmetrical fiber :rock: http://ut99server.kozow.com (The Black&Decker Server.)
=================================
-Easy downloads, up to date, "ready to run" for friends in webpage of server.
-"Realistic" BOT configuration, autofill an adecuate amount of bot when you connect, good for practice, 10 humans allowed.
-MapVote, "t" and write "!vote" to test maps.
-More 300 Maps...
-UZ compression, faster downloads.
-UTStats 2 page.
Enjoy.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Very well done map, you can hide but still have to watch your back. "DM"

Has sky, water-fog, teleporters, and not 100 percent symmetrical, and logical Z axis without trying to make some conglomerated mess for the sake of Z axis.

Not too big, not too small

Looks is not dull but not flashy, and F any BSP holes, it's still good, LoL (I didn't see that problem you have or any other spots).

I say a 9.67345412 rating out of 10 :tu: :tu:
Binary Space Partitioning
Novaeon
Average

Post by Novaeon »

Thank you all for the nice comments, it's very much appreciated :)
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

a9902957@nepwk.com wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:11 pm Plays well with MushMatch ( viewtopic.php?t=14820 ) version 1.3.3 (which has not seen a release build publication on its GitHub home as of yet for some reason).
That's because 1.3.3 was prone to crashes. This was fixed in the just now released version 1.3.4, alongside a few other nice changes. I'm sure the changelog I provided isn't very comprehensive!

a9902957@nepwk.com wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:11 pm Here is the link to the license for the code (which you could glean from the unobfuscated .u files): [...]
I don't think anyone here needs to know the license. But if anyone is deathly curious, the license is the Cooperative Non-Violent Public License. It outlines restrictions against use by violent actors, such as warring states, and, in the Cooperative edition, also restricts commercial use to only individuals and 'worker-owned organizations'.

Quote from the ethical licensing website:
https://ethicalsource.dev/licenses/ wrote: (Cooperative) Non-Violent Public License.
  • The Non-Violent Public License aims to ensure basic protections against forms of violence, coercion, and discrimination which creations are frequently leveraged for in the modern world. This license covers several formats of creative work but has extra terms for software given the power it has as a tool outside of its creative capacities.
  • The Cooperative Non-Violent Public License goes further and only allows commercial use of the copyrighted work for individuals and worker-owned organizations. It is a superset of the NPL and contains all of the same terms otherwise.
These so-called "ethical licenses" are legally complicated, so for most projects I use a permissive license like BSD or MIT instead, only pulling out the CNPL for very large, community-oriented projects. And I suppose Mush Match can be considered community-oriented. :)

a9902957@nepwk.com wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:11 pm You might also want add to add to its ini in the [MushMatch-20230306,MushMatch] section:
bAlwaysAutoSpot=False

which just might be the default, also might not I do not recall now.
It is the default, and moreover, will soon be the only behaviour allowed. If you look at the to-do file, you'll notice it mentions a "suspicion meter", which would completely change how suspicion and spotting work in Mush Match, and pave the way for new "traps" that use these mechanics. Indeed, Mush Match is far from finished!

This definitely isn't the right thread to discuss these at depth. I just wanted to provide some context for onlookers. :wink:
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction