How to disable trans locator by editing a map.

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
magestic
Novice

How to disable trans locator by editing a map.

Post by magestic »

Title says it all, is it possible to edit a map to not have a trans locator ? I want to have the trans available in all maps except the ones i select "Edit".
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Re: How to disable trans locator by editing a map.

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Some mapvote mods have the option to make a seperate maplist with different mutators included, personally use XMaps for this for offline but for servers there's other ones. I'd say editting maps should only be as a desperate measure if you're only gonna disable Translocator.
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

What for??? :noidea
There is already an option in the base game to enable disable translocator. Why remove the player's freedom to play the map however he wants, with whatever game modes, mutators, weapons they want? I really feel this is unnecessary.
I have maps with "included" sniper weapons that cannot be removed, for example. I really do not like that.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Do you speak of a server? Then add a mutator that checks the name of the map and replaces or delete the Translocator in case.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

TankBeef wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:05 pm What for??? :noidea
There is already an option in the base game to enable disable translocator. Why remove the player's freedom to play the map however he wants, with whatever game modes, mutators, weapons they want? I really feel this is unnecessary.
I have maps with "included" sniper weapons that cannot be removed, for example. I really do not like that.
In my opinion I think that translocater is only good for, and designed for, CTF, For me the hate started with Quake 1 with people using the Grapple and getting and clinging to unnatural places, then spam kill.

It's just that (not a big deal) but I think the mapper should have the power to block it in some way or to block mutators having an effect, built into the map.
Mainly and is just my opinion-idea is like a single player map, or MH, it breaks the map and it may never end, or things get grabbed before they should, just because there was a way using the translocator.

In DM I also say BAN IT !!! lolzz, the geometry was made to be the place, not flip around 40 foot walls or get away or get on a ledge that you otherwise could not.

But that is just me, I also hated all that acrobat stuff in UT2004 the game is supposed to be a FPS game, not street fighter., and I never use-ed dodging in UT.
Binary Space Partitioning
magestic
Novice

Post by magestic »

Barbie wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:35 pm Do you speak of a server? Then add a mutator that checks the name of the map and replaces or delete the Translocator in case.
yes its hosted on gameservers

what kind/name of mutator does this?
TankBeef
Masterful

Post by TankBeef »

Red_Fist wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:58 am It's just that (not a big deal) but I think the mapper should have the power to block it in some way or to block mutators having an effect, built into the map.
I think mappers doing these things, blocking stuff, end up limiting the "audience". It is just like those who say "oh, I am not going to bother pathing this map for bots, this is for online only". :noidea
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Red_Fist wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:58 am It's just that (not a big deal) but I think the mapper should have the power to block it in some way or to block mutators having an effect, built into the map.
I just think it should be bypassable. Part of the magic in UT and its replayability is the ability to screw around with all the different settings and do outlandish things. At least off-line, or even online but up to the server admin's discretion; it should be the server admin's responsibility to listen to the players' concerns and act upon them, not the mapper's. If the server admin doesn't do that, well, too bad, that is a bad server admin, replace him or find another server, I guess.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
magestic
Novice

Post by magestic »

I have 2 maps out of 100 that are best played without Trans, I still haven't really got a good answer, maybe can be done with map vote, but I thought it was easier to edit a map, still wondering if its even possible.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

magestic wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:42 pm still wondering if its even possible.
To avoid cheating I also run some maps on a server with a not really disabled Translocator but a "heavy" XLoc - that means you can shoot the XLoc just where you stand, and only down but not up. That enable players to go back where they have been but not to reach distant or higher areas. That limiting of Translocator is done while the map is loaded on the server.

Maps where that limited Translocator is added:
  • MH-BR-Village
  • MH-Canyon-revamp2
  • MH-DKDasaCellars{fix}
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
magestic
Novice

Post by magestic »

Barbie wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:23 pm
magestic wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:42 pm still wondering if its even possible.
To avoid cheating I also run some maps on a server with a not really disabled Translocator but a "heavy" XLoc - that means you can shoot the XLoc just where you stand, and only down but not up. That enable players to go back where they have been but not to reach distant or higher areas. That limiting of Translocator is done while the map is loaded on the server.

Maps where that limited Translocator is added:
  • MH-BR-Village
  • MH-Canyon-revamp2
  • MH-DKDasaCellars{fix}
how do you do this ?
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Gustavo6046 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:50 pm
I just think it should be bypassable. Part of the magic in UT and its replayability is the ability to screw around with all the different settings and do outlandish things. At least off-line, or even online but up to the server admin's discretion; it should be the server admin's responsibility to listen to the players' concerns and act upon them, not the mapper's. If the server admin doesn't do that, well, too bad, that is a bad server admin, replace him or find another server, I guess.
Yes but no, and you are essentially ,,correct. my main concern is OVERIDING, THE MAPPERS INTENT, AS OPPOSED TO BREAKING THE MAP.
would MEAN PLACING BLOCK ALLS FOR EVERY MH OR SP MAP.

So the mapper should have the choice since people ruin the map by allowing instant cheats or a ,unplanned no end, map, who the hell can plan around that ? ! after all their work goes down the drain.

Tankbeef speaking of snipers.
That was another thing, I had to modify a sniper for UT2004, but as soon as someone uses sniper arena it replaces all the modified sniper rifles . So I had to make everything, the projectiles and everything different to defeat any mutators that ruined the whole idea of the map..You couldn't just make a new subclass.
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

If we are using term "editing" a map in a special case, whatever it might be, it will be needed a special thing as well... such as writing a few lines in Uscript for disabling/removing/deleting/nulling Translocator. Mapping it's not only about painting walls...
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

sektor2111 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:20 pm such as writing a few lines in Uscript for disabling/removing/deleting/nulling Translocator
SBReplacer has already more than 300 lines… Stay tuned.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

sektor2111 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:20 pm If we are using term "editing" a map in a special case, whatever it might be, it will be needed a special thing as well... such as writing a few lines in Uscript for disabling/removing/deleting/nulling Translocator. Mapping it's not only about painting walls...

LoLzz, I like walls.

Basically all you have to do is make a new class NAME's, and all the classes it uses to different names. That way it don't break anything and the mutator can't know what to change. I think I had to do that for a bunch of things
in UT2004 because it switches all the placed weapons, can't remember if I did that or not, but it was a lot of work just to make the map play the way it was made to do without some rouge mutators fouling up the whole thing.

I am not anti mutator, but in a lot of cases it defeats the reason of making the map in the first place.

Especially the translocator.

Is also a reason to configure a MH map with the MH end disabled, if they want to try and get out using the translocatoor , they will be FORCED to play through the damn map. :mad2: