Playing a mod without packing files?

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
Grammamoss

Playing a mod without packing files?

Post by Grammamoss »

Hope I posted in the right spot. I'll try and just be brief on this. I've read somewhere on google on another website that you can test your mod without packing the files. Example... Say i changed every sound in the Unreal Tournament 99 and I want to test them. How do i go about doing so without having to pack them in a Umod. Just way easier to test things. Thanks if anyone could help.
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Re: Playing a mod without packing files?

Post by UTPe »

Hello,
you can simply select the mod you've built in mutators list in a local game or, eventually, test it on a server (also a local server) by adding it to ServerPackages/ServerActors list in UT.ini file (System folder).

cheers,
Pietro
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
Grammamoss

Post by Grammamoss »

I will give this a go and try it. Thanks!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Grammamoss wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:49 pm Hope I posted in the right spot. I'll try and just be brief on this. I've read somewhere on google on another website that you can test your mod without packing the files. Example... Say i changed every sound in the Unreal Tournament 99 and I want to test them. How do i go about doing so without having to pack them in a Umod. Just way easier to test things. Thanks if anyone could help.
Why should anyone be required to make it an Umod.
Umod is only for convenience because the one who want install the mod doesn't need put every file into the right place ...the Umod will do it for them. That's all.

But ... what exactly do you mean with "i changed every sound in the Unreal Tournament 99" ?
Buggie
Godlike

Post by Buggie »

papercoffee wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:13 am Why should anyone be required to make it an Umod.
Umod is only for convenience because the one who want install the mod doesn't need put every file into the right place ...the Umod will do it for them. That's all.
Umod only for headache. Zip with folder do job, about place each file in desired place, pretty well.
It start as bad habit place all files in zip on one level, and goes be such "solution".
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

papercoffee wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:13 am the Umod will do it for them. That's all.
And I don't need to overwrite my current content (that might include certain fixes) with some prior bugged files coming from an "UMOD". Names ? UTDM... BPak, etc. If these would be unpacked automatically it will be roll back which is way no way. I prefer an UMOD extractor for extracting only needed content not just blindly overwriting files.