Santa Claus skin · need some help

Search and find cool skins and models, or introduce your own ones!
Baardman
Skilled

Re: Santa Claus skin · need some help

Post by Baardman »

EvilGrins wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:13 am
papercoffee wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:34 am There must be a step missing. I had never problems with skin-maker.
And I've made a number of other skins with it, but it seems to have a problem with specific more detailed types of textures.

Every time I run into this issue, I make another skin with it... and that works, so it is working but it has a problem with certain things.
I also tried out skinmaker today and evertime i select "compile" it says i need team textures
or something while i have all 4 team colors and the normal texture for legs and chest.
It did make the skin playable in UT99 though.
Does it just always give this message as a reminder? Or did i do something wrong?

Could i make a skin in a different way without skinmaker? It seems i can simply make the
UTX in unreal editor and the INT with Notepad.
Maybe i can make the .U with script editor in Unreal editor?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Baardman wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:05 amDoes it just always give this message as a reminder? Or did i do something wrong?
I made a skin with it that had no team colors and it never gave me that message.
Baardman wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:05 amCould i make a skin in a different way without skinmaker? It seems i can simply make the
That's how I used to skin, although I didn't need .u files as I wasn't making new models.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Baardman
Skilled

Post by Baardman »

EvilGrins wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:31 pm
Baardman wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:05 amDoes it just always give this message as a reminder? Or did i do something wrong?
I made a skin with it that had no team colors and it never gave me that message.
Baardman wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:05 amCould i make a skin in a different way without skinmaker? It seems i can simply make the
That's how I used to skin, although I didn't need .u files as I wasn't making new models.
Hmm maybe im confusing making a voicepack with skin making. Skinmaker does not create .U files am i right?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

.utx ...but by extension also .u files. All the files are actually the same format. The place where this file is, is the important factor... as far as I remember, right @Feralidragon ?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

My point was you don't need .u files for skins, only for newer models.
Baardman
Skilled

Post by Baardman »

Sorry did not read through that your UT crashed. But i dont know, i only dont like skinmaker and think its buggy because in my case textures load slow and the program. ALWAYS gives me the teamtextures message prompt. While i really do have all team textures.

If you really resized to 256 x256 PXC Indexed colors it SHOULD work. Indexed colors is most important.

Maybe you are trying to lead the skins in a Unreal Tournament version that does not support higher detailed textures yet?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Baardman wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:37 amMaybe you are trying to lead the skins in a Unreal Tournament version that does not support higher detailed textures yet?
That's the thing though, they're not high detailed. When I was skinning with UnrealEd, these same textures worked fine with no problem.
Baardman
Skilled

Post by Baardman »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:10 am
Baardman wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:37 amMaybe you are trying to lead the skins in a Unreal Tournament version that does not support higher detailed textures yet?
That's the thing though, they're not high detailed. When I was skinning with UnrealEd, these same textures worked fine with no problem.
Okay so if you try to make the skin with Unreal editor it does not crash the game?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Baardman wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:05 amOkay so if you try to make the skin with Unreal editor it does not crash the game?
Exactly my point.

I initially made the Red Shirts skin with UnrealEditor years ago and that works fine, but when I took textures from that to make a female version with Skinmaker recently... that's what caused the crashes.
Baardman
Skilled

Post by Baardman »

EvilGrins wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:06 pm
Baardman wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:05 amOkay so if you try to make the skin with Unreal editor it does not crash the game?
Exactly my point.

I initially made the Red Shirts skin with UnrealEditor years ago and that works fine, but when I took textures from that to make a female version with Skinmaker recently... that's what caused the crashes.
Maybe just use unreal editor then? Also i found it easier to use a 3d software and reload the
Texture on the model each time i changed something so i could see the changes i did live.
Maybe Blender or Milkshape could be usefull for you.

I personally give up pretty fast if software is not acting like it supposed to.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Baardman wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:49 pmMaybe just use unreal editor then?
The only reason I'm using Skinmaker is I lost access to UnrealEd months ago. viewtopic.php?t=15835
Baardman
Skilled

Post by Baardman »

EvilGrins wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:21 am
Baardman wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:49 pmMaybe just use unreal editor then?
The only reason I'm using Skinmaker is I lost access to UnrealEd months ago. viewtopic.php?t=15835
Maybe try changing the renderer or install a 3th clean UT99 or
install on a virtual machine.
I had this happen to me once but i dont know what solved it.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Baardman wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:02 pmMaybe try changing the renderer or install a 3th clean UT99
Won't help, one of my anti-viral thingies eliminated a key file on my system but it doesn't have log files so I don't know what.

UnrealEd wasn't the only thing impacted, a couple other programs I use also either stopped working or lost options.

For the forseeable future, I'll just have to do without.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

The dimensions of krgl3 are not powers of two according to the Editor log - the dimensions are 256x245. This may be the source of the crash?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:44 pm The dimensions of krgl3 are not powers of two according to the Editor log - the dimensions are 256x245. This may be the source of the crash?
From what I've seen on various models, yes the dimensions of any texture for a skin have to be even. Can't have it longer than it is wide.