Some Server help?

Discussions about Servers
Otto Kontroll
Novice
Personal rank: Private

Some Server help?

Post by Otto Kontroll »

I am just getting back into UT after many years. I have figured out and remembered a lot and this forum has been a tremendous help.

Here is my problem, I want to set up a (for now) a semi private server here at home where (again for now) only selected people can access. And I kinda want to run it from home before I commit to renting a server. (yes I am cheap, for now :D ).

So my first question is, after getting the dedicated LAN server up, how do others connect? Can just I give them the IP address etc?

My second question is there a remote server manager or does everything need to be done (maps, mutators, and bots etc) when you start the server.

And my very last question is what does UCC.exe do?

Thank you in advance for any and all help, and if I get this all figured out, I will see you in Otto'sLand

oTTo
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Some Server help?

Post by sektor2111 »

That file UCC.EXE it's one of main factors capable to start an UT server - not only from GUI file "UnrealTournament.exe".
If you look for some tutorials about "switches" for this UCC 'command' perhaps you'll find out some information. If not, I'll look into my private repositories for a basic configuration - because right now I did things in a different way even if the server ( a MultiServer more exactly ) starts using the same UCC.EXE file. These are my limitations, I did not work with Linux or whatever OS types delegated to host an UT server. The rest of 'Windoze' things are about ports used which needs to be open for connections from/to LAN/Internet.
Otto Kontroll
Novice
Personal rank: Private

Post by Otto Kontroll »

Thank you Sector. I will check it out. I did find that if you run UCC.exe from a cmd line (dos) using (I think) \help to list the commands to use with UCC.

oTTo
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Otto Kontroll wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:39 pm So my first question is, after getting the dedicated LAN server up, how do others connect? Can just I give them the IP address etc?
1) If other clients were already connected, either the firewall on the UT host is inactive or already has holes at ports 7777-7778 for incoming UDP traffic (or whatever ports the UT server is listen on).
2) If the host is NOT connected directly to the internet (= has a private IP address), you have to add port forwarding on the router to the host. See router's manual for details.

Ready. Clients should be able now to connect to [Router or Host public IP address]]:7777.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Eternity
Skilled

Post by Eternity »

Otto Kontroll wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:39 pm Here is my problem, I want to set up a (for now) a semi private server here at home where (again for now) only selected people can access. And I kinda want to run it from home before I commit to renting a server.
So my first question is, after getting the dedicated LAN server up, how do others connect? Can just I give them the IP address etc?
First of all, it is necessary to make sure your ISP provides you an internet connection with public IP address, otherwise any further steps are useless since ISP's CGN will block all unsolicited incoming packets.

Once you have public IP address, then it makes sense to set up a OS firewall settings/rules, router's firewall and port forwarding settings.
Some ISP's provide customers by a firewall that is controlled via a web control panel and could be enabled by default, so need to keep this in mind as well...

With all of these steps accomplished, then, others can connect to your server by IP address and port (default is UDP 7777) via game menu "Multiplayer -> Open Location", where in "Open:" textbox they enter address and port, something, like "1.2.3.4:7777".
In case if your public IP address is dynamic, need to make sure others use your actual current IP address each time before they connect.

If you want the server to be private, then make sure in UnrealTournament.ini a setting "DoUplink" in section "[IpServer.UdpServerUplink]" is set to "False" (this way server won't be listed in public master servers lists, but keep in mind some mutators like Nexgen may override this setting), or set some password in section "[Engine.GameInfo]" for "GamePassword" setting, so that others have to enter this password before they connect.