DM-Foom

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: DM-Foom

Post by EvilGrins »

Been ages since I saw any good maps to download but I spotted some good ones today and, I'm pretty sure, think this one was one of them.

I haven't sorted through all of them as yet.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Isotoxin
Adept
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by Isotoxin »

Hmh, I liked the texture use of this map, (anc-hourindus.) Altough I had an ''empty'' feeling with this map. I hope you would edit some parts to make it looks even better.
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Post by Shadow »

Put some dirt in it, some more decorations (cars, trucks, garbage cans, newspapers, graffiti) etc.
Last edited by Shadow on Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

LOL you can tell im a bad mapper because i can't see anythink wrong with that map.(Thats why im a coder now)

He does have some great skills in mapping :gj:
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Post by Shadow »

I'm just giving constructive feedback for improving an already well done map.
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

ok i get whats going on now im a bit slow today.
Helen
Novice

Post by Helen »

Isotoxin wrote:Hmh, I liked the texture use of this map, (anc-hourindus.) Altough I had an ''empty'' feeling with this map. I hope you would edit some parts to make it looks even better.
Shadow wrote:Put some dirt in it, some more deocrations (cars, trucks, garbage cans, newspapers, graffiti) etc.
My next map is percolating and trying to make it to my forebrain. Only room for one in there :)
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

Nice brushwork, nice texturing, nice lighting. :gj: Though, the highest floor lacks of details: Most of the roofs are flat; there could be some variation.
The floorplan is good as well, it has lots of possibilities for z-axis fighting. However, I wondered why there were no HealthPacks or HealthVials. Was that done by intention or did you simply forget them?
Also, nice selection of ambient sounds although you can't hear the fire burning because its radius is too small, and you could have added a wind sound that covers mainly the upper floor.
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Helen
Novice

Post by Helen »

editor Dave wrote:Though, the highest floor lacks of details: Most of the roofs are flat; there could be some variation.
True, true.
editor Dave wrote:The floorplan is good as well, it has lots of possibilities for z-axis fighting. However, I wondered why there were no HealthPacks or HealthVials. Was that done by intention or did you simply forget them?
Intentional (there are only 4 health packs). Even the good players need to die, it keeps the game closer.
editor Dave wrote:Also, nice selection of ambient sounds although you can't hear the fire burning because its radius is too small, and you could have added a wind sound that covers mainly the upper floor.
I'm thinking you're flying around the map with your music turned off? Because in actual gameplay, you can hardly hear sounds really. I myself don't listen to the music when playing, but I think I'm in the minority there. While most of the roofs are blocked off, there are a couple you can get to that have some wind.

Thanks for the feedback though, this is all good stuff.
editor Dave
Inhuman

Post by editor Dave »

The small amount of Health packs is a interesting idea.
Helen wrote: I'm thinking you're flying around the map with your music turned off? Because in actual gameplay, you can hardly hear sounds really. I myself don't listen to the music when playing, but I think I'm in the minority there. While most of the roofs are blocked off, there are a couple you can get to that have some wind.
No, but its is always nice to hear some background sounds. These make an environment seem more "alive". To support that statement, open the window of your room and notice the sounds which react on you. There's never complete silence. Maybe that gives you ideas for more sounds that could be included. ;)
If you hardly hear the sounds you can either turn up the sound volume from the AmbientSound, or if it is already 255, you can duplicate the same AmbientSound. For example, I needed for one SpecialEvent, that made a Skaarj roar, six actors to hear it properly.
And yes, there are some wind sounds but only in a few sections. When there is such a strong wind as the sound implies you must hear the wind away from the arches, too.
SzGergo
Skilled

Post by SzGergo »

I really like how the whole area is so architectural. I mean structures are just not floating in the middle of nowhere, there are no thin slabs spanning thru incredible distances etc. Everything is so plausible.

There are nice details too, it is really eye-pleasing to look at those balustrades and walls.

I really like how you have used and aligned the textures. Actually, it is funny how some little texture-flaw can be so spectacular (e.g. when the cobblestone meets the metal plating by the ramp), when otherwise everything else is blended so well.

What I do not understand is why you have chosen to block the unreachable areas with solid walls instead of BlockPlayer actos.
Also, you should have MyLevelled all those textures. Moreover, everybody should always Mylevel any custom stuff.

As for the other qualities, i am quite lame in playing this game, so i cannot judge how well it plays, but for me it is fun to play, it is interconnected well, there are lot of interesting combat situations to get involved.

(((btw can anyone tell me the proper english architectural terms for some stuffs?:
1; Shall that solid railing (usually made of brick or concrete) be called ballustrade (or is it only used for railing supported by balusters or stair-sticks)? or is that called parapet? or?

2; What is the name of the "foot" of the masonry? I mean the first ~1 metre of the wall that is usualy made of, or covered with some other (stronger, more resistant) material than the brick the given masonry is made of? It's purpose is to protect the wall from splashing water, mud, and to withstand corrosion and freeze.

3; the very top of a flat roofed building. sometimes it is ornamened. It protects the wall from soaking by the rain.
maybe i should put a picture of a building with highlighted parts in some architect's forum, lol)))
Helen
Novice

Post by Helen »

SzGergo wrote:I really like how the whole area is so architectural. I mean structures are just not floating in the middle of nowhere, there are no thin slabs spanning thru incredible distances etc. Everything is so plausible.

There are nice details too, it is really eye-pleasing to look at those balustrades and walls.

I really like how you have used and aligned the textures. Actually, it is funny how some little texture-flaw can be so spectacular (e.g. when the cobblestone meets the metal plating by the ramp), when otherwise everything else is blended so well.
Thanks!
SzGergo wrote:What I do not understand is why you have chosen to block the unreachable areas with solid walls instead of BlockPlayer actos.
I'm not too familiar with BlockPlayer actor. With the walls I could chisel them out and I knew 100% what I was getting.
SzGergo wrote:Also, you should have MyLevelled all those textures. Moreover, everybody should always Mylevel any custom stuff.
por quoi?
SzGergo wrote:3; the very top of a flat roofed building. sometimes it is ornamened. It protects the wall from soaking by the rain.
maybe i should put a picture of a building with highlighted parts in some architect's forum, lol)))
cornice?
editor Dave
Inhuman

Post by editor Dave »

Helen wrote:
SzGergo wrote:Also, you should have MyLevelled all those textures. Moreover, everybody should always Mylevel any custom stuff.
por quoi?
Because it is annoying to put additional content aside from the map itself in the different folders. Plus, it adds stuff of which you later don't know exactly if it is retail or custom content. Then you use it accidentally and after the release people complain about missing packages. That happened dozens of times here. There are some exceptions, though: The texture packs from the official bonuspacks, or the often used packs like richrig or HourKraden, as well as .u-packages, that need an .int-file.
;)
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

editor Dave wrote:
Helen wrote:
por quoi?
Because it is annoying to put additional content aside from the map itself in the different folders. Plus, it adds stuff of which you later don't know exactly if it is retail or custom content. Then you use it accidentally and after the release people complain about missing packages. That happened dozens of times here. There are some exceptions, though: The texture packs from the official bonuspacks, or the often used packs like richrig or HourKraden, as well as .u-packages, that need an .int-file.
;)
Dave, you failed. Dont start a sentence with "because". Instead start with "catching" of the question. :mrgreen:
Oh yearh, I remember a case where somebody made a utx file for one freaking single texture (was a picture of an animal). Amazing, isnt it?

Just think about that on this way "what happens if everybody does it like I do...".

Anyway, for such special - map specific - crap I have a seperate spam directory.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
SzGergo
Skilled

Post by SzGergo »

Helen wrote:cornice?
oh yeah, that's it! thanx!

BlockPlyer is pretty simple, just check it out on unrealwiki. There is one boolean property set up incorrectly by default, but otherwise it just works fine.
I think it would have been no more work dropping a bunch of BlockPlayer actors than alaigning those walls.

Btw there is a place where you can stuck (or hide). You can hammerjump or be thrown behind the shipping container, from where you cannot come back unless you have enough hp for an other hummerjump. Bots will stuck if accidentaly catapulted there, and they wont jump out. Not a serius thing, but it could have been sorted out easily without blocking projectiles mid-air.