Monsterhunt Extra Live Pickup

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Monsterhunt Extra Live Pickup

Post by Creavion »

Coder Challenge, user request... call it however you want.^^

Since Monsterhunt is somehow an "adventure" styled gametype and of course with extra lives, I already thought some years ago that this gametype would basically need extra lives as items. Possible working procedures and features:

MH_ExtraLive

bCollectorGetsLives: If true the pawn who picked up the item gets (an) extralive(s).
CollectorLives: Amount of lives the "collector" pawn gets (back). Should also work with negative values.
bCollectorDies: if true the collector of item dies right after picking it up.

bOthersGetLives: If true all the other hunters (no matter if player or bots) get (an) extralive(s).
OtherHuntersLives: Amount of lives the other hunters expect the "collector" pawn get. Should also work with negative values.

bUseSharedRadius: Only important if other hunters are supposed to get lives. If true other hunters only get their live bonus, if they are within a certain set collision radius.
SharedRadiusValue: The radius, see description above.
bUseSharedHeight: ---
SharedHeightValue: ---

bNoExceedingofStartLives: Ok, this might be hard to realize. If true, not any hunter can get more lives than they had at the beginning of the match.
bAllowItemRespawn: Maybe not needed, since you can get respawn time to zero with the same effect anyway.

subclasses maybe, all other not described settings below should be "false":
MH_Normal_1up
//only the pawn who picked up this item gets an extra live.
bCollectorGetsLives: true
CollectorLives: 1
bCollectorDies: false
bOthersGetLives: false
OtherHuntersLives: 0 (since previous bool is false, the default setting does not matter anyway)

MH_Team_1up
//No matter who picks this live item, everybody gets an extra live.
bCollectorGetsLives: true
CollectorLives: 1
bCollectorDies: false
bOthersGetLives: true
OtherHuntersLives: 1

MH_Hero_1up
//The collector pawn dies for the sake of the other hunters who gain each an extra live. The class name however sucks, but I do not have any better idea right now.
bCollectorGetsLives: false
CollectorLives: 0
bCollectorDies: true
bOthersGetLives: true
OtherHuntersLives: 1

I also "modelled" a mesh for it, which fits very well IMHO.

And before somebody thinks I am an awesome 3D Modeller: The mesh is mostly a cut version from the Botpack Deathmatch trophy. I deleted e.g. the minigun in the right hand and the podest parts and added the foundation with some less UV Mapping of an other trophy texture.
So far I have not exported the mesh, since it is a little bit annoying from its procedure (export as obj into 227 Ed -> convert to brush, export to UT Ed, import and export again as t3d, since 227 created t3ds can not be read by MeshMaker...).
So yes, the actual exporting is way more annoying then the preparing of this mesh.

As sound I think "Botpack.CTF.CaptureSound2" would make it for this.
So anyway, anybody willing to realize this?

Oh yearh, since the monsterhunt source is somehow hard to find on the net these days and I found it "accidentally" on my HDDs, I have re-upped it here:
MonsterHuntSource.zip
(292.66 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: Monsterhunt Extra Live Pickup

Post by JackGriffin »

Cre(a)v, you've always been there for us providing empathy and moral support like no one else. You've been that shoulder-of-comfort for myself and your words of encouragement have helped me many times. I think it's your soft-spoken demeanor that makes you just so approachable (and frankly loveable).

Of course I'll whip it up for you. In the words of the fine statesman Gorge..."I'm on it!"
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Ok?

Here we go...
MHExtraLivePickup.zip
(6.71 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
Generic UT pickup default settings are already set.
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Nice, it needs a cool little green mushroom as mesh now. :loool:
Just kiddin'
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Higor wrote:Nice, it needs a cool little green mushroom as mesh now. :loool:
Or a 1UP sign or somethin. :lol:
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

GEx wrote:
Higor wrote:Nice, it needs a cool little green mushroom as mesh now. :loool:
Or a 1UP sign or somethin. :lol:
too simple.

I just noted "live" is supposed to be "life" duh... >_>
About to be non-active
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I did these for MH2:

and I actually did have one made from this texture:

which fell right in line with what Creavion would like but no one thought it useful. Once I get caught up C, I'll find the code for it and get what you'd like done. In fact the "+1" relic in Survival is damn close to what you want already.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

I see what you did there. On base of the Hyrule shield I would say you took famous items and objects from different well known video games, to explain players instantly its individual use?!

Anyway, please change later the classname at least "Extra Life" .. man, not the first time I screwed this up.
About to be non-active
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

C, I'm starting on this tonight. I wanted to get it yesterday but Alucard needed some help tracking down a couple of code problems in a map he and titled are going to release. The name escapes me but there is an unfinished MH map that consists of an old manor-style house with zombies out in the yard. Well that was a simple prototype for what the end product was going to be and it's simply fantastic. I'm looking forward to his official posting of it and I think you guys will enjoy another map from him. (In case you don't know Alucard, he is the genius behind MH-RobotFactory, MH-Claustrophobia, MH-December24th, and a slew of the THM maps. This forthcoming map though is by far his best.

Anyways I'm starting on this tonight. I'll have a few questions and the first of them is how do you plan on bringing this into a map? Do you want it to act like a relic, popping up randomly, or do you want it to be a placed pickup?

Update...I banged out a 'pretty-close' version for you to play around with:
[Warning, this zip is passworded and I will not be handing out the key to anyone but Creavion]

Here's the ini file breakdown....
[ExtraLife.ExtraLife]
bRespawnTime=10 //Time between respawns
ExtraLivesAwarded=1 //How many lives awarded for each grab
LivesLimit=10 //stop awarding lives at this number (can be less than max lives)

[ExtraLife.ImaHero]
bRespawnTime=10
ExtraLivesAwarded=1
LivesLimit=10
PunishMe=True //If true the 'Hero' gets seriously exploded taking one for the team ;)
oh and add this to the ini file as a new section:
[ExtraLife.ExtraLifeMutator]
UseExtraLifeRelic=True
UseHeroRelic=True
This extra add section will spawn the pickups in MH maps at a random pathnode. It still needs a bit of work but it will let you test them as a random spawn pickup (like relics). It's not all done though so if you want this feature after testing let me know and I'll finish out this feature.

I'll PM you the zip password. I get tired of beta stuff getting grabbed and posted when I didn't mean for it to be yet. I want to finish this and then it will be up to you if you release it or not but I'd appreciate this not getting passed around yet.
Last edited by JackGriffin on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Uhh, I am somehow sorry for the misunderstanding. It looks like I have not expressed myself well enough. These settings were not meant as INI, but rather as variables for the pickup itself. Looks like because of this you have invested much more work than actually needed. :ironic2: Damn..

I have not read your previous post, since I came back from work just a few minutes ago until it was already too late (since you are already done with your work). Well and at work I can surely not browse the internet for fun. Serious business as software tester...^^ (at least right now).

So to avoid more trouble in these matters: It is just meant to be a pickup with some variables for the mappers within the pickup itself. The stuff "check for starting amount of lives" e.g. is something like superhealing of health pickups, were 100 is the normal health amount. The "normal live amount" would be the amount of lives with which the map has been started before.

But anyway at the end I do not want to claim that pickup for my needs only. I only wanted to see it "done" for all MH mappers.
About to be non-active
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I set it up with ini values so you could test it easily. Really I made it to function both ways (as a pickup and also as a relic) because I wasn't sure what you truly wanted. I'll discard the relic portion of the code next version, that's not a problem.

If you are happy with the performance I'll convert the ini variables to embedded ones and it'll be ready for server testing.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

I see, apart from the fact the settings are the INI instead as variables in the pickups itself, it really works as it is supposed to be. Really great work and thanks a lot! :thuup:
And I still can not believe you could do it THAT quick.^^
About to be non-active
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

This sort of stuff is quite easy and most of it was done already in one or another mod that I've done. BTW I based this off of invisibility so look for it subclassed under that pickup. I'm right in the middle of a scripted sequence for my MH map but as soon as that's done I'll post a release to you. Maybe three hours or so.

Edit: Dammit, just missed 3 hours! Anyway:
ExtraLife.zip
(179.12 KiB) Downloaded 185 times
This zip is public, consider it a release.

Usage notes:
Open the u in editor and find 2 new pickups subclassed under UT_Invisibility.
ExtraLife simply awards you an extra life. ImaHero awards everyone on your team an extra life.

There is a setting called "PunishMe" in ImaHero that kills the hero if you want that to happen. Everyone else gets the life though. I made messaging classes for everything too so you know what's going on. Oh and if you try to get all greedy and get more lives than you should, consider yourself DENIED :lol2:

Source code included, all permissions granted with the exception of Creavion's model. It is not mine to permit you to use, please ask him.
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

I do not care for credits in these matters either. Modelling the pickup really was not hard in any way considering I have taken a part of the DM trophy.

I think you have done the far bigger part of this job. (:

Edit 3: ok than the old fashioned way copy pasta ... edit by papercoffee
edit 2: No, I am not even able to remove any of my own posts...
----------

Damn... never thought I would have to go this far... double post (should be merged later maybe after you replied, since it looks stupid that way)

Not before I checked the ready compiled U with the source I noticed they are completly different which did let me wonder a lot about the bugs at the beginning (lik no variables to config within the pickup). It looks like you included by mistake an older COMPILED version of the ExtraLife pickup within the file archive. However, thanks to the source I could compile the right version or at least a far newer one.

But: RespawnTime seems not to work "right". Of course there is no respawn time which leads to instant respawning. Zero respawntime AFAIK is normally supposed to work like "never ever respawn again". But since I said something about this in these matters it is my fault. I have forgotten about this in that moment I requested it.

LivesLImit: I did set 5 for the testpickups, ingame however it kept 10.

The general concept works.

edit: wait wait wait.. liveamount is also not working and always keeping 1? What went wrong there? For me it looks like some default settings are "blocked" from being modified in any way...

edit: removed old version on request
Last edited by Creavion on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
About to be non-active
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Yeah, you are right. I screwed the pooch on that one. Here's the correct download:
ExtraLife.zip
(177.8 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
Sorry about that. You need to set respawn time in the new variables section, not in the old respawn time setting. It can be set to instant (zero) or very long (500 or more). Let me do some further testing of the pickup to suss out the free life lower variable. I'm not really a big fan of that, it's a bit obtuse and odd to understand but I'll make it work if it has problems. I just ran out of time and had to go back to work.