Need help setting myself on fire

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Need help setting myself on fire

Post by JackGriffin »

First off, let me get this out of my system.

OK, I'm better now.

Does anyone have a good burning script or effect? I'm building a sort of flamethrower and I'd like a decent "this object is now on fire" visual effect. I've looked all over and sprite anims just don't cut it for this. Has anyone seen or used something that mimics the smoke generator but creates a flame instead? That's the effect I'm going for.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Need help setting myself on fire

Post by Feralidragon »

Easy, you need a lighter (or 2 stones), some gasoline (or something else which is highly inflamable), ...

Oh.. oops, only read the actual post now lol, then for that:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/apocalypse-weapons/images - Pretty good flame effect

- At around 2:35 there's a nice flame effect as well

http://www.moddb.com/mods/nali-weapons- ... pons-ii-x2 - Then there's the one I did for my previous pack (quite poorly)

And there's one I still didn't release and you can (re)look at the first nw3 preview.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I'll be perfectly honest with you Ferali. I had written you an email about an hour ago to ask if I could modify the fire effect from the FlameTracker for the Saucier. Instead I went this route and here's why:

You have helped me so many times with so many things though it's mostly privately and you never get the thanks you deserve. I posted this knowing you'd be the first to respond and that you'd (most likely) all but toss your work to me to be used. I was even more pleasantly surprised to see you humble yourself by adding your obviously much better work at the end of the post. Very classy.

I sincerely hope that the people here appreciate what they have with you being the resident answer guy. I can promise you that as far as I'm concerned I consider myself incredibly lucky to have you answer my questions. I can't thank you enough.

(is that enough ass kissing? My lips are starting to chap...)
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Well... no problem :tu:

Btw, you and anyone is free to rip code, models, whatever from my mods (including the one I am about to release, heck in the case of the ionizer I even added "shooting" animations, although I don't use them in the mod, just in case someone wants to create a sniper from it or something).
Modifications to the mods are also ok by me, just under the sole condition of changing the final package name (because of online mismatches, that's all I ask), so don't worry about it.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

"They" always say that when dragons talk, that man should listen carefully to the wisdom :mrgreen:

I was gonna suggest that you check some of the burning-head type anti-camper mods, as they will possibly be half-way to what you want already.

I've actually just been playing with the DWeather addon for UT2004. That has a very nice wind-blown fire effect (possibly worth a look for the coding).
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Oh man there is so much to use in 2k4 it's just sick. Sadly though there is just very little that visually looks good in UT as far as fire is concerned.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

^ And in those effects UEngine 3 wins hands down. The thing I liked the most in their latest engine is the ability to make "glowing" materials which is something revolutionary, and which although are a bit overused in UT3 and a few other games of theirs, in some situations like flames and other glowing fx or parts of it, it's just awesome.
Given that the max UT1 has are plain procedural textures, we get a bit limited in fx quality (for instance, no alpha in UT1, and it's something that would come in handy for smoke effects and anti-aliased stuff in the canvas, I get often very frustrated not having it).
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I was wondering if any of the coding ideas/concepts from the DWeather mod would be useful, as the author was unhappy with the original fire.
The source code is included with it, and looking at another way of doing things may (or may-not) help.

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:MarZer
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Some years back I used the meteors part of the code to add that ability into the RPG I was working on. I knew less than nothing about coding though and gave it up because it was a mess. I remember the author for DW was pretty cool when I asked permissions, he wouldn't mind it being used.

The down side is that almost everything concerning visual effects won't back translate into UT. It's worlds improved from the legacy engine and this sort of thing you are discussing was the highlight of the 'improvements' that 2k3 brought out.