Discussions about Coding and Scripting
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

[SEARCH] additional Coder for the Food Fight mod

Post by papercoffee »

We search an U-script coder to participate in our Project "Food Fight"
http://www.moddb.com/mods/food-fight
Our beta-Test server where you can see the actual state of the Mod.
208.167.224.185:7777

Our main development forum is here at ut99.org

For further informations write me a PM.
...if you have made already a mod or mutator please insert a link to your work.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Re: [SEARCH] additional Coder for the Food Fight mod

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

What would you need to code exactly though? I have knowledge in uscript, but I am good only at certain stuff (mutators is my best interest/triggers, can do certain items, some weapons, but then again only Unreal weapons, don't like the clientside only function script in UT and many weapons often break online for that matter or don't update as well).
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Well we need some one who can code weapon and game play for online use ...Gopo/Jack made a great job but I burned him out a little bit... And now is one weapon left to code and a issue with the reload (what bothers the bots) is still present.
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

papercoffee wrote:Well we need some one who can code weapon and game play for online use ...Gopo/Jack made a great job but I burned him out a little bit... And now is one weapon left to code and a issue with the reload (what bothers the bots) is still present.
I think I can fix the bot issue, not sure about coding a whole new weapon though.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

paper you are a great guy and very kind.

I start a summer class (this afternoon actually) on proper computer coding/game development at our local college. I'm afraid I won't have time to devote to UT projects because of it. It's something I'm excited to try though, and I'm pretty fired up about entering the academic arena again.

The FF mod is in a pretty good state development-wise. There's a playable demo server running and we have a development/testing server that is non-public and has the next stage of the mod on it currently testing.

What do you need to bring? First off, the mod relies heavily on proper replication. You'll need to have a decent understanding of weapons including how to animate them, how to control the firing through the animation, and how to animate them so it works online (which is hugely different than just swapping projectiles). All the weapons use reloading and you have to understand how to make that work.

The mod also has custom replacement, scoreboard, and gametype. You'll need to be comfortable in scripting gametype and drawing to canvas, as well as knowing how to properly replace. If you replace with "IsA" then you are doing it wrong :lol2:

If someone is a reasonable talent and wants to contact paper I'll offer my full help and support. I have a private teamspeak server and I'd be happy to spend an evening getting you up to speed as well as be available (as my time permits) for any questions or whatnot that you have along the way. Most all of the 'heavy lifting' has been done, this would be a good summer project for someone to finish up. It's a good group and the resources are already in place.

@Leo: I've seen your work :tu: Yeah, you can do this and in fact you might be the right guy for the bot/behavior issues if you could at least talk to paper about those. The last weapon is a little daunting but I'd help where I could.
So long, and thanks for all the fish