placeable relics?

Discussions about Coding and Scripting
darkbarrage99
Skilled
Personal rank: Barron O' Beefdip

placeable relics?

Post by darkbarrage99 »

hey guys, I'm guessing this is going in the right section? if not then feel free to move this thread.

I've been wondering if there is a method or mod out there that enables placement of relics in UEd? when you place a relic pickup actors in the editor it doesn't show up, but they do show up when you load up the map in UT. because of this, properties remained unedited, and so the relic was only dropped on death and did not respawn. the relic info actors are placeable but act as they do in their mutators, relocating to different path nodes etc.

I'd love to add some of the relics to some ctf maps, but make them work similarly to the power-ups in Quake 3 team arena maps. it would balance gameplay a bit more and be more interesting than just throwing on the standard mutators. I imagined that this must have been done before, but I haven't come across it.

thoughts, comments or answers appreciated! thanks ^___^

btw, I tried posting over at BU forums about this, but had little avail. the only person who mentioned that he wanted to come up with a set of placeable relics said he would do it, but he's currently going through radio/chemotherapy, and i really don't wanna bug the guy. send some positive vibes to gopostal!!! dudes a champ! I'd love to simply do it myself, however, I have next to 0 coding knowledge. >.<

the bu thread: http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthre ... ost2580148
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: placeable relics?

Post by JackGriffin »

db, this account is also me (gopostal). I'm sorry my friend that I'm having such a tough time.

Hey guys! Can someone step up and whip this up for him? He's been very cool about it, doing and saying all the right things. I'd be super appreciative if someone could help him out. You can use the goRelics as a base if you want and I'll send you the source so it's completely apart from any stock relic code. I'm just in a bad spot right now to actually do work. It's fairly simple stuff he wants, just strip out the 30 second move that the relic does and have it respawn where it was placed. It shouldn't be tough to do at all, even if you wanted to make some custom pickups. Thanks to whomever might consider this for me.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
TheLame
Novice
Personal rank: retired UT reject

Post by TheLame »

I'll be able to do this i guess? If noone else steps up I'll be happy to do this for you Kel :-)

So, basicly if i understand it correct, it's a hack to turn the relics into regular pickups, spawning just like say an inventory pickup? When the carrier is killed, just respawn instead of having the respawn controled by the timer?
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Thank you bro. This means the world to me for you to help him.
darkbarrage99
Skilled

Post by darkbarrage99 »

thanks! you guys are awesome :D
TheLame wrote:I'll be able to do this i guess? If noone else steps up I'll be happy to do this for you Kel :-)

So, basicly if i understand it correct, it's a hack to turn the relics into regular pickups, spawning just like say an inventory pickup? When the carrier is killed, just respawn instead of having the respawn controled by the timer?
absolutely correct. so long as it's properites can be modified like a regular pickup in UEd, such as time to respawn, drop on death bladidyblabble

something else i wanted to mention, wormbo's enhanced items mod also has the extra 'relic of wealth' added in, I think it would be a good addition as a placeable relic, but that's entirely up to you. i imagine permission should be granted for that addition as well.
http://www.koehler-homepage.de/Wormbo/download.html#EI
TheLame
Novice

Post by TheLame »

I'll give it a try, but please have patience with me, I'm a bit busy at the moments and a bit rusty in ut99 coding hehe .... About getting permission to use Wormbo's xtra relic you better ask him yourself, I think my creditbillity is pretty close to zero ... ooops ....

But I promise to do this, hopefully you have time to wait for me on this, but if you get help from other side before i get it done I'll understand, just please tell me so I don't code in vain.

I'm not sure what you mean about the properties, please try and explain to me exactly what you mean, english is not my native language so i may misunderstand hehe.

you say time to respawn and drop on death? ... like a switch? bDropOnDeath=True will disable the timer function or?? both ways? so it will respawn like usual pickup and also drop on death to be picked up again?
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Don't forget there are other Relics such as "Relics2", "Wrelics", "Relic-classes", and the "Runes" which behave like relics, but can be combined with them, and also be picked up by bots and monsters.
Also there is a "Predator" relic.

Actually that is what I would like as a modification. Allow bots and monsters to pickup the Relics.
eg. 1 zombie in a hoard, that has super-powers can be great fun.
TheLame
Novice

Post by TheLame »

I'll focus on the Relics2 package and add the relic of wealth (which i never knew existed hehe) if possible. I won't add relics to support monsters, the monster AI code is fecked up good eneough already as it is rofl.
darkbarrage99
Skilled

Post by darkbarrage99 »

you have my patience my friend ;)

when I'm talking about properties, I mean for when you are in unreal editor. when placing a pickup and right clicking on the pickup there is a list of options.
for instance when placing a shock rifle, you can right click on it, go into the properties and alkter them such as PickupAmmoCount, RespawnTime, bRotatingPickup, etc.. however i am not sure whether there is a 'drop on death' option for non-weapon pickups. :loool:
TheLame
Novice

Post by TheLame »

Super, I'll cook a little thingy when i recieve a bucket full of spare time hehe ....

I see what you mean about the properties, but have you considdered this scenario:

You add a relic as a usual pickup and make it respawn say after 30 seconds. Then in theory a new player can get the same relic each 30 seconds. Now, if you also make it drop when the player is killed, you can (in theory) end up with 20 relics in the map after 10 minutes of gameplay as the relics that are dropped will continue to stay in the game for the duration of the match (given that ofcause 20 players are playing in the match). And this would apply to each single relic really as you cannot pick up a relic if you already carry another one. So the map may be flooded with relics in short time? I think this is why Relics are coded the way they are, to avoid this flooding of the maps?
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Wormbo's enhanced Relics/Items would be a good framework to work under, as it has options to control spawn rates.

Just remembered, there are the Quake3 relics available for use with it.
http://www.koehler-homepage.de/Wormbo/Q3T.html

Also be careful which Wrelics (Wraith's Relics) you use, as they are not clearly marked with a version.
Actually, sod-it, I'll have a look through my site's folders.

Oh, cool. I am ahead of myself. I've all ready collected them together.
Here is a quick page. I'll make more of a feature of it later.
http://my.opera.com/Unreal-Tournament/b ... nd-pickups
TheLame
Novice

Post by TheLame »

I'kl be focusing on db's simple request.. otherwise it will get me Stück in coding for much too long demanding time i dont have available... Sry...

I'kl leave the code editable to anyone who wants to extend it :-)
darkbarrage99
Skilled

Post by darkbarrage99 »

TheLame wrote:I'kl be focusing on db's simple request.. otherwise it will get me Stück in coding for much too long demanding time i dont have available... Sry...

I'kl leave the code editable to anyone who wants to extend it :-)
:tu:

beyond the 'simple request,' this definitely looks like it could become quite a project! thanks a lot guys :) this could really add a whole new refreshing mechanic to ctf and jailbreak maps.

another possible thing to add to these relic pickups could be to add a property to them that controls which team can pick them up, like how it works in q3ta. like say theres a defense relic in the red base and a blue guy comes in he can't pick it up because it's assigned to team 0 etc.

TheLame wrote:Super, I'll cook a little thingy when i recieve a bucket full of spare time hehe ....

I see what you mean about the properties, but have you considdered this scenario:

You add a relic as a usual pickup and make it respawn say after 30 seconds. Then in theory a new player can get the same relic each 30 seconds. Now, if you also make it drop when the player is killed, you can (in theory) end up with 20 relics in the map after 10 minutes of gameplay as the relics that are dropped will continue to stay in the game for the duration of the match (given that ofcause 20 players are playing in the match). And this would apply to each single relic really as you cannot pick up a relic if you already carry another one. So the map may be flooded with relics in short time? I think this is why Relics are coded the way they are, to avoid this flooding of the maps?
this is why a property would need to be assigned to allow/disallow the dropping of the pickup ;) does this property already exist in the inventory code? :noidea
TheLame
Novice

Post by TheLame »

I just reinstalled UT and looked a bit on the Relic code, I will need re-code it, I cannot use much from it but the textures/sounds & meshes and then ofcause copy/paste the behaviour of the individual relic. But the control (spawning/dropping) of the relics are controlled by a mutator as it is now, so it leaves the control out of the actual map. To put the control into the mappers hands it needs to act like a standard pickup with a few twists to suit the mappers needs. I'll play with some thoughts on this, then begin to throw a few lines of code together ... ha ... and make a test map for it ... been such long time since I've worked in good ol editor :-)
does this property already exist in the inventory code?
no, there is a basemutator that handles the players inventory when he dies, it's possible to influence this and toss the inventory we want to be dropped, but it can't be done using the properties of the inventory.

wish me luck.... :tu:
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Lame I finished up my last radiation treatment today. If you want help with this or you want me to do it for a while just let me know. I'm still healing but I can work a bit every day on something.