New to the forums, have some questions

Introduce yourself! (Please NOT only your Name or Clan!)
ChadYOLOcinco

New to the forums, have some questions

Post by ChadYOLOcinco »

Hello all. I recently have been reminiscing about playing UT99 (in my opinion the greatest fps ever). It seems this forum is very much alive and active, but when I try to find a server through the in-game browser, barely anyone seems to be playing. Is there another external server browser I should be using? I'm looking to play either of my two favorite game modes: CTF with the excessive overkill mod (most fun to be had in any video game) or normal Assault with standard maps (I think custom maps are usually too complicated). Does anyone still play these? The in-game browser makes it seem like people only play instagib ctf or bunnytrack (why?). If people do still play these modes, please let me know where. If not, which board would you suggest I make a topic trying to find/create interest in playing some excessive CTF? Any help would be appreciated. I look forward to getting killed a lot by you guys since I am so out of practice.

P.S. I'm in North America, if that makes a difference.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: New to the forums, have some questions

Post by EvilGrins »

California boy here, for what it's worth.

I haven't been playing online so much lately but there's plenty of folks playing CTF still, last I checked, though how active their servers are I can't say. Sometimes it's just you and 2 bots.

Don't think assault gets played much, though assault styled weapons are very popular in MonsterHunt.

I only ever use the in-game broswer myself and that usually works pretty good. If instead of clicking a tab for a general gametype, maybe click on the full view of all gametypes at once and see if there's anything in there that attracts your eye.

Sadly, for you in this instance, most everybody largely plays MonsterHunt or very select Deathmatches favoring a particular weapon type.

This is my semi·often updated forums list · http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4160
Which I only mention as the FRONT page of some of those forums has displays of the server games that forum is hosting. Also another good way to find servers.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Re: New to the forums, have some questions

Post by Dr.Flay »

You can add more master-servers to your config, or add them manually by looking at the external game-trackers.
I added some resources to this page http://my.opera.com/Unreal-Tournament/b ... tournament
Scroll half way down to the section "Unreal Tournament Servers"

You will find many empty servers, but don't let that put you off.
Sometimes it is because they are in a different time-zone and the regulars are asleep.
Joining a server anyway because you like the look of it, is still a good idea, as other players may spot you and join.
It is a good way to practice a map you do not know, as there is usually some bots to play with.

Some types of server you may not notice or be able to see, because you don't already have that mod.
There are many updated addons and upgrades available including a fixed version of Chaos.
Hermskii runs a Chaos server, so you can hop into there if you like ChaosUT.

You will notice many servers running something called NW3, NWIII (Nali Weapons 3).
It is advisable to download the full version of this before joining a server (you can join anyway), as it is worth reading the docs, and tweaking the performance for your PC.
http://my.opera.com/Unreal-Tournament/b ... -weapons-3

It is also very advisable to update the UT renderers with modern replacements, and use the video and audio tweaking tutorial linked at the top of the forum.

If you can't find anything just ask, and Medor will appear like a French-Ninja.