Create a new gametype

Discussions about GameTypes
Damien
Novice

Create a new gametype

Post by Damien »

Hi guys.

I know, I'm only making stupid questions, but I need your help. I'm studying C++ and C# as a student (I'm 22, anyway), and I saw some lines of code from custom mutators and mods.

I want to make a new gametype, but I don't know where to start. I know there must be at least two files (.int and .u), but I can't find a single tutorial, just a "how to start". I know something, and I will learn more looking at source code, but I really don't know how to start.

If someone of you can redirect me to something... it would be really appreciated.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Create a new gametype

Post by Feralidragon »

UnrealScript, start here: http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/UnrealScript

Gametype specific, I don't know any to be honest.
Damien
Novice

Post by Damien »

Thanks, I saw the Wiki time ago ;)
It's an useful source, but there isn't the thing I'm looking for...

Hell, how do you guys learn all the stuff?! I'm gonna download the source code and look at it...

If anyone has other links, please post here, thanks.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, generally speaking, we learned most of it by actually looking at was already done (the source code, standard weapons, standard gametypes, etc) since there isn't really a good "how to do this?" documentation about UT stuff, if any at all about many subjects, and the other bits we either come up by ourselves or learn from each others, this is the beauty of a community and how so much can be developed even nowadays.

One of these days I will try to do a couple of "to the point with actual material" tutorials in many subjects related to UT modding (weapons, replication, etc), but until that day... :\
Damien
Novice

Post by Damien »

Yeah, I imaginated that.

Just a stupid question: when I download a gametype, often there are only two files (except the read-me). First file is .int file, and ok. The other one is the .u file, the real script. Now, the problem is: I gave a look at the source code but found nothing. Which way I can integrate my .u files in the game (botpack.u)?

I've already made a modify at deathmatch, but I have no idea how to test it out.
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Ok, first thing you must understand is what exactly those extensions mean:
.u - The unreal package, where your code, textures, sounds, etc are all into;
-int - The file that lets the game know you have X .u package with the following Y class to be loaded and be used as Z. These files start always with [Public] header (this header is needed specially since int files are also "locales", meaning that since UT supports different languages, you can also store translations in these files (with the language extension instead of int though), as long the variables are declared as "localized".
-ini - The file that stores the configuration of your classes. Some variables can be declared and configurable (config or global config), and adjusted in this file.

So basically, you must setup the .int file in such a way that the game knows that your .u file is there and has a specific purpose.
In the case of gametypes, I never made one so idk exactly, but upon looking at the game standard .int files, this is what you have for DeathMatch to be loaded by the game:
Object=(Name=BotPack.DeathMatchPlus,Class=Class,MetaClass=Botpack.TournamentGameInfo)
Preferences=(Caption="UTDeathmatch",Parent="Game Types",Class=Botpack.DeathmatchPlus,Immediate=True)

So perhaps in your case all you have to do is put something like the following in your int file:
Object=(Name=MyPackage.MyGametypeClass,Class=Class,MetaClass=Botpack.TournamentGameInfo)
Preferences=(Caption="My Deathmatch",Parent="Game Types",Class=MyPackage.MyGametypeClass,Immediate=True)

I hope this helps.
Damien
Novice

Post by Damien »

Feralidragon wrote:I hope this helps.
This fu***ng helps!
Thank you dude, I start understanding more things now... :)
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

The guys at Old Unreal have a useful collection of tutorials
http://oldunreal.com/editing.html
and tools
http://oldunreal.com/tools.html
Vankuss
Experienced

Post by Vankuss »

I'm interested in making something like Betrayal from the newer games.
If the OP or anyone wants to contribute, let me know here! :)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

How about to make a new Thread with your request it would increase your chance to get People.
Make concepts and try to explain everything so people who don't know the "Betrayal" mod can imagine how everything works.
Vankuss
Experienced

Post by Vankuss »

papercoffee wrote:How about to make a new Thread with your request it would increase your chance to get People.
Make concepts and try to explain everything so people who don't know the "Betrayal" mod can imagine how everything works.
I was going to do it, but I need before some basic concepts and a description, a scheme or a diagram, something like that. I'm used to draw first my "projects" and then make it into script. Maybe tomorrow ;)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

:tu: cool