Released: DM-1on1-Angeldust

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Revelation
Average
Personal rank: UEngine violator

Released: DM-1on1-Angeldust

Post by Revelation »

Hey folks!

Here's a new map for the new year... DM-1on1-Angeldust.
As you can see from the name, it's a rather small DM map, suitable for 2 or 3 players. Visuals are based on the gothic theme of the ShaneChurch pack, however the textures are heavily modified to create a somehow "unique" style.
Of course I am aware that "Angel Dust" is the frequently-used term for a drug... Just look at the screenshots, and you will know that I didn't pick this name by chance. ;)

Like always, you'll need a descent machine to run the map, but I guess performance is not THAT bad... Chronoshift was worse, and noone complained back then. ^^

Some impressions can be found below, for further information, have a look at the included Readme file.
One thing about the angel statue (Screenshot 1): This is NOT the known model by proof, but an own one. However I think you guessed it, proof's model was my main source of inspiration.

As for the links:

--> Download @ ModDB
--> Download @ utzone

Have fun playing, and feel free to leave comments. ;)

greetings,
Revelation
Attachments
Angeldust4.jpg
Angeldust3.jpg
Angeldust2.jpg
Angeldust1.jpg
Last edited by Revelation on Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Re: Released: DM-1on1-Angeldust

Post by Myth »

Graphics, design, style, layout, everything aced.
Hats off, why am I still mapping?

Any chance of seeing it online? I sure hope so...
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

@myth: Take it easy. as MAPPER he is a legend. Can not be denied. There are not many outstanding mappers like him (still active). (at least for UT1)

I fear somehow the day where UT might get that permission for the engine patch. If this guy to will understand its features, we are all doomed. You want a comment? Well you posted a map. Thats enough. I mean .. I wont find any bad points anyway, so whats the point. :ironic2:
Quickly checked map in flyby. Ancient + WOT + Shane church in grey style, many layers. I mean, you always know what you are doing.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

Awesome Rev (and happy holidays :rock: ) Can't wait to play it...
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
rohitggarg
Adept
Personal rank: The name is Bu||et

Post by rohitggarg »

This one sure looks crazy awesome!! Great work there Rev.. :)
Regards,
Rohit

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN.............

My website : http://www.appointmentagent.com
Sergeant Todd
Adept
Personal rank: Retired Jedi

Post by Sergeant Todd »

Revelation,
You've gone and violated the Unreal engine again!!! Shame on you!....

I loved everything about the map, period. :) the particle work...wow!...
Sergeant Todd
---------------

"I miss Olmos & BG, as a matter of frak'd!"
Metalfist
Masterful
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Post by Metalfist »

amazing work!!! :gj:
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Indeed it is.. if I look at unreal-DEAD-ground... he did not even get any reply there. But no wonder with this retarded forum structure there. Just a shame. Our mappack disappered there as well with .. 2 replies, I remember.
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Mapping skills + coding skills = Excellent 5 stars maps

Once again Revelation proved what the combination of these 2 fields of development in UT can lead to. Honestly, the particle effects are great and all, but it didn't surprised me anyhow (I have been seeing them in many maps by now), what I liked a lot in this map in particular was the care with the models with those demon faces (the little relief given to them to make them more 3D detailed rather than just texturized) and the sun lensflare (this one owns).

Regarding lighting and architecture, well, nothing to be surprised relative his previous work (it's simpler from what I see), but it's still very very good, after all it's about Revelation we're talking about. :mrgreen: :gj: :tu:
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Post by Shadow »

Which sun lensflare? O_o
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Shadow wrote:Which sun lensflare? O_o
In the map, there's a window to outside where you can see the sun, if you stare the sun directly and rotate your view a bit, you will see the lensflare effect, which is extremelly well done.
It's rare for me to download maps these days, but it's always worth downloading his maps, you find always something new, something different. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Here's a shot from it:
RevOwnageSunLens.png
Revelation
Average
Personal rank: UEngine violator

Post by Revelation »

Added a Filefront Mirror, while MapFactory is still pending...

Thx to all for the nice comments! Yeah, the sad issue of UT's liveliness...Hard to beleive that the Playground is so dead by now that even FnB would rather comment here than over there. :lol2:
Anyway, it's not just UP, there are no comments at Unrealed.info so far either... Still hope for Swanky there. ^^

@Ferali:
Honestly, the particle effects are great and all, but it didn't surprised me anyhow (I have been seeing them in many maps by now)
Yeah right, guess next time I'll have to invent something new for my weapon bases. :mrgreen:
Regarding lighting and architecture, well, nothing to be surprised relative his previous work (it's simpler from what I see)
Well, certainly true compared to Chronoshift... Angeldust simply took "only" four weeks to be finished, not half a year and more.^^
Compared to Valkyrie, Gorgon, or somthing alike, I wouldn't say it's more simple... Guess the level of complexity is pretty much the same, only it takes effect differently.

Btw, I just noticed that the UDamage pickup isn't rotating. :shock:
I simply forgot to set bRotatingPickup to True, despite having played the map over and over again for testing puposes... Shame on me. :wth:
Feralidragon
Godlike

Post by Feralidragon »

Revelation wrote: @Ferali:
Honestly, the particle effects are great and all, but it didn't surprised me anyhow (I have been seeing them in many maps by now)
Yeah right, guess next time I'll have to invent something new for my weapon bases. :mrgreen:
Perhaps some "lights" (kinda like "coronas", but not exactly if you know what I mean) and some animation in the models themselves would be something I have still yet to see in a map, with different behaviours when the pickup is there or hidden/picked up.
The particles can stay though, just sugesting other kinds of effects. :mrgreen:
Revelation wrote:
Regarding lighting and architecture, well, nothing to be surprised relative his previous work (it's simpler from what I see)
Well, certainly true compared to Chronoshift... Angeldust simply took "only" four weeks to be finished, not half a year and more.^^
Compared to Valkyrie, Gorgon, or somthing alike, I wouldn't say it's more simple... Guess the level of complexity is pretty much the same, only it takes effect differently.
Well, I was not comparing to Chronoshift, that map beats the crap out of any map I know with that theme (there are clearlly months of work in it). I meant indeed relative to Valkyrie for instance. It might be me indeed, perhaps I am being influenced by both themes (since the theme of this one should be "cleaner and lighter" than Valkyrie which was "darker" where the lights and the details jumped easier to the eye imo).
Revelation wrote: Btw, I just noticed that the UDamage pickup isn't rotating. :shock:
I simply forgot to set bRotatingPickup to True, despite having played the map over and over again for testing puposes... Shame on me. :wth:
I noticed that, I thought it was supposed to be that way lol
It doesn't look bad that way in my opinion though
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

*caught* ued.info is a german only board, for the ones who dont know (so: the most), which means, the non-germans wont understand anything there anyway. And from what I have heard and you approve it, its like beyondunreal: mostly community threads.

up seems to be dead in any possible way, not even the moderator team seems active there, thats a graveyard. We can let it die anyway... I mean the dying progress started surely around 2 years ago.

edit: anyway I would not worry to much about small possible flaws. I mean was I really amazed by this clean perfect lighting, specially on the terrain. I could never do that. Not even with bright corners (Bright corners has btw an overflow bug, overused it can produce random shadows)
About to be non-active
Shadow
Masterful
Personal rank: Mad Carpenter

Post by Shadow »

Feralidragon wrote:
Shadow wrote:Which sun lensflare? O_o
In the map, there's a window to outside where you can see the sun, if you stare the sun directly and rotate your view a bit, you will see the lensflare effect, which is extremelly well done.
It's rare for me to download maps these days, but it's always worth downloading his maps, you find always something new, something different. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Here's a shot from it:
RevOwnageSunLens.png
I'm not seeing that effect anywhere.