DM-CirclePit BETA

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Pandemonium
Average
Personal rank: for h.exe = 0 to 665

DM-CirclePit BETA

Post by Pandemonium »

-
DOWNLOAD in post2.
-

Hello folks,

this is my first map for the original UnrealTournament, it's close to a finish but still needs some beta testing. The visuals won't be changed much from now on, so I want you to play a few rounds and check if the item-placement, gameplay and gameflow is nice and smooth. :)

It's quite low-poly (polycount < 300 per view) so it runs on every system that runs the game itself. It's okay with up to 6 players, but it's realy designed for hardcore 1on1.

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
Tell me what you think about it, I hope you like it. Just tried to build the best UT-Deathmatch map ever. XD

Greetz, Pande

-
Last edited by Pandemonium on Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pandemonium
Average

Re: DM-CirclePit BETA

Post by Pandemonium »

And here is the DOWNLOAD-Link, ca 1.2mb
Attachments
DM-CirclePit.rar
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 149 times
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

It looks quiet interesting ...I'll test it the next days.
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

I'll test it tomorrow, for now I write only something about the visuals. You said that you wouldn't change them but I would if I were you:
While the architecture and the lighting look as if they were from a pro mapper (and you are one!) the overall temple doesn't provide variety in any form. Sure, there is the oligatory broken tiling and brick but no real decoration.
What is the purpose of the different rooms? You need at least one outstanding feature in the map. Think of the the giant beam in Revelation's DM-Valkyrie, the crane in DM-Crane, the Longhorn in GTD-Carthage's DM-Arken or the Healpod in DM-Healpod (of which the last two even have effect on the gameplay). Or something less spectecular: A high-detailed fireplace, statues, some pillars. Or just some variation one the walls: Some crypted writing, a painting, a window...

These were some encouragements to make your map more appealing. I hope you think about adding some nice elements that characterize the different rooms or the whole map.
Good luck! :D

P.S.: Is the map for some certain upcoming mappack of a certain German UnrealEd orientated forum? :mrgreen:
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

The walkways/floors lack of trims and the wall trims you were using (I know your own stuff) totally do not fit at all: Neither from the structure nor from the general colours.
Lighting setting is generally nice, but it looks everywhere the same, somehow more like "zone - light". I an not see any light which is supposed to emit lighting. (ok there is something, but its way too less difference)
Clipboard-1.jpg
Maybe it helps if you try to make the underground passages darker (lower brightness). In return the lamps needs to look as like as they would emit lighting (more brightness, smaller radius).
Well and: Crypt lights and industrial buzzing sound? Really NOT sure about this. :confused2:
BUT: I like the layout. So: If you want to win something or whatever, there is still plenty of work to do for you. Good luck!
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

nice look - your first ut99? i'll have a look... remember bots are quite stupid in ut99 compared to 2k4 - you have to do more work on them :) like some others, a bit more detailing would be nice, but I would suggest you don't go too crazy with deco if your goal is to make this online playable/popular. I think you need more/better accent lighting -> please not stupid little red lights but some sharp ambers and cyans to work with what you're showing. Maybe rather than "electric lights" You might use make "flame" based sources (like the nicer torch-flames from some old "unreal" custom maps - the really nice fancy ones) ... just a few thoughts
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
Isotoxin
Adept
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by Isotoxin »

Really nice map, I liked it..But all the rooms kinda look the same. Some trims, statue's, missing tilles, wooden planks on the ground etc, etc will do.
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

Now something about the gameplay...
It works so incredibly well that I can't complain about anything, unfortunately: After spawning I always got a weapon early enough, when I needed health I found health, when I wanted to confront enemies I saw some because of the great use of z-axis, as well as the generally big built architecture that lets you get an overview of at least half the map. I must admit the two matches I just played were the most entertaining since a long time. Another plus are the obvious super items which, however, can't be accessed without risks :tu: So hats off for the gameplay, I really enjoyed it. Now you can concentrate on the visual aspects :tongue:

@Isotoxin: Apart from the statues, Pandemonium already implemented all of your suggestions, so this will not help.
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

nice map :tu: I played the map with 1 masterful bot. Tom_caT also tested this map 1vs1 , so his findngs are here as well as mine (he is much more hard-core, and i agree on most of his points)...

First render. I'd call this moderate detailing, well done. The texture work is good except i think the lifts should be different material rather than just slabs of stone. The wall lights are okay, i think they be should bevelled in or out (not flat) why would an electric light unit be flush in a brick? I found occational edge homs in the sky when running past the ceiling openings. a few disappearing brushes as well. One area I had a lag at the beginning of the match.

IMO, the sky seems a bit drab and there's only a hint of light source from one side. Something has to be responsible for all that orangy light. It might be more appealing if it were more of a fiery sky - more red/amber and less yellow. Having a sun for example, would provide angled shadow opportunies as well. Just some suggestions - in reality, we had more imortant things to do in-game than spend time gazing at the sky :)

I played it first, then looked in the editor after, so as not to bias any observations. So now imortant stuff (in order of priority):

- lifts are too slow - kills flow (make them 1 sec and 0.25 delay)
- shield belt too easy to get (BOT almost always gets it first, forcing you to have to camp it)
- playerstarts in too-high traffic areas, making easy spawn kills (move these into more protected locations)
- weapons are tucked right against walls in many cases (for hardcore put guns and some ammo on the direct running path)
- Tom_caT loves the udam there (i think it should be harder to get, but meh)
- There's some BOT problems (they seem to get stuck at times and never hammer where they could be)

Okay, from the editor - The bot pathing is not good :) While it basically works, it needs tweaking and cleaning up - none of the jump spots are set up correctly and I'm not sure what you think those extra liftexits are doing on your lifts :) As i said before, this is not like 2k4, you have to use lift exits with jumpspots (one above and one below), ut99 does not use pathnodes for that purpose.

Anyways, nice work so far - I find it very Swanky-ish, Tom_caT finds it very "2K4" (he plays 2k4 a lot of the time) With this one if you gain the upper levels with flak/rockets and shock/sniper you can dominate - particularly since the BOT becomes stationary a lot of the time in the middle -regular well timed shock combos and you're the winner. With more players this would be more of a problem obviously, but I think fixing the BOT bugs is essential and some pickup adjustments can fix that aspect.

Well that's it...

Good Job :rock:
>@tack!<
Adept
Personal rank: lol?

Post by >@tack!< »

Awesome map i really liked it, played it with 2 bots was supercool. Cant wait for the final version
FraGnBraG
Inhuman

Post by FraGnBraG »

Pandemonium check your PMs - you have two from me :)
Cheers
Pandemonium
Average

Post by Pandemonium »

Wow, thanks for the Feedback so far. Specially fragnbrag!! Have no Time by now, will write sth the next days.
Thx guys. :)
GenMoKai
Godlike
Personal rank: Mapper

Post by GenMoKai »

looks great so far ;) but i will comment it later (cause i have to work now)
EAT THOSE FRIGGIN BANANAS !!!!!
1000 MPH Studios MAY NOT play any ut99.org community mappack 2 map without George W. Bush explicit permission