Insane idea that requires a question on ut99

Discussions about everything else
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Insane idea that requires a question on ut99

Post by EvilGrins »

Believe it or not my previous computer, trust me this is going somewhere, only had a 4GB harddrive. It because of this I had and deleted so much good UT stuff, maps and whatnot, because I only had so much room to work with. Most of which I may never be able to get back...

...though for the most part ut99 only took up about ½ to ¾ of that 4GB.

I can't upload anything to my work computer for many reasons but I've been running some basic stuff off a 4GB USB flash drive.

For those not seeing where this is going, is it possible to run ut99 off a flash drive without installing it on a computer?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Renegade
Adept
Personal rank: Vigilante

Re: Insane idea that requires a question on ut99

Post by Renegade »

Absolutely. Did it all the time in High School to cover my tracks.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:yes or no :loool:

take my UT and not exec it but open the exe with winrar or other winzip ... http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/foru ... hp?f=4&t=7
take the folder "UnrealTournament" and past it on your usb drive
just can play offlline the broserUT do not work
BUT you ca try to set the directory and use linkUT for joint games http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfi ... 20UT99.zip
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

Renegade wrote:Absolutely. Did it all the time in High School to cover my tracks.
Might be troublesome if you want to install patches and/or umods and course it is slow as hell.

Anyway: What is supposed to be insane about that? I have done that several times in my school time... *insert slowpoke meme here*
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Saya-chan
Adept
Personal rank: Former UT99 modder

Post by Saya-chan »

My insanity goes far beyond yours. I have a portable Operating System installed on an external hard disk, and I play my games on that. Since you have a 4GB USB stick, that's not a great idea, you'd need a bit more than that to hold both UT and a Linux distro with Wine in it. :P
  ~♥~ Bless the Cute Emperor ~♥~
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

I took UT into a flash drive for "school" as well 2 years ago. Generally was not to play, it was mostly to develop stuff while the teacher was being boring. Never got scolded for it though :mrgreen:
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Strictly speaking, as UT does not install anything in your system, and only needs really needs registry entries for the UMOD setup, and can cope with not being able to write a log file or update your ini's (e.g. if your drive runs out of space).

You could even get away with playing it from a DVD :loool:
A UDF format open-session disc, or a re-writable would allow the saving of changes, but would be a very bad idea!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

If I were to go through with this it would be a very bare bones installation. Just the basics, maybe one or two mutators I especially like and a few fave maps and probably some of my own skins. This'd just be something else to do when it's slow at work, I wouldn't be able to play the more detailed stuff I do at home.

I can keep it under 4GB no problem, though I'm gonna need a new flash drive just for it.

Saving changes would be largely impossible, unless I setup them up at home first. The work computers we use are setup to prevent any saving on external drives or plugged in USBs. Protecting the company's secrets thing, can't take anything if you can't save it to something. I already gotta setup my mp3 player with new stuff when I'm at home rather than here...

...I can't even delete stuff off my drive on the work computers.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758