textureless skin question

Search and find cool skins and models, or introduce your own ones!
Dixzn
Novice
Personal rank: GODLIKE

textureless skin question

Post by Dixzn »

Hello, I'm conducting experiments, and I'm interested in creating a textureless glitch where a particular pack is missing. For instance, a boss's arm might be missing, resulting in green/grey arms in the game.

I'm here to ask if anyone knows how to intentionally make a specific pack textureless. For example, I want to apply this to the Male Commando and make the face textureless... I haven't quite figured it out, but I'll provide an example image. In the menu, the face looks black and blue, but in the game, it appears green/grey.

I am certain of one thing: I've observed this working online before... it worked and it's definitely somewhere in the system folder... Thank you!

Auto merged new post submitted 1 minute later
@EvilGrins
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: textureless skin question

Post by OjitroC »

I suppose the starting point is to remove the face from the .int file for the skin. I know that if one doesn't have an int file for the skin for a model then the whole skin will show up blue/grey in the Player selection window (no idea how it looks in game though).

I presume though that you have tried various things in order to get the image you show here. So what have you tried? What is it that you want to achieve precisely? Is what you have in the image not what you are looking to achieve?

Do you want textureless parts of a skin to show up grey/green ingame rather than what you describe as green/grey (though to me parts of a model without a skin tend to show up as green/silver/grey)?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Dixzn wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:02 pmresulting in green/grey
The "green/grey" is a default texture for skins & models, kind of like in maps when a texture isn't available it automatically substitutes that white mushroom like pattern.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

The more I think about it, the more I think that this requires a mutator to do what you want to achieve. That way one could substitute a grey/green texture for the removed texture to avoid the grey/green missing texture look.

There are other questions though - do you want to achieve this for

1) only one skin?
2) just the Player?
3) for all bots as well as the Player?
4) a specific part of a skin or at random?
etc, etc.

It should be doable - JackGriffin did a Disguise Relic that changed a skin to that of an opponent so, in theory, that kind of approach could be used though it would probably need to be more extensive.
Dixzn
Novice

Post by Dixzn »

I aim to render a textureless face and devise methods to extend this approach to diverse skin types and anatomical regions, like feet, back, and chest!

I will delve into the .int file to discern potential triggers for this effect. Wouldn’t it be commandoskins.int, correct?

I appreciate your responses!   
Auto merged new post submitted 3 minutes later
@OjitroC @EvilGrins   
Auto merged new post submitted 6 minutes later
EvilGrins wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:06 pm
Dixzn wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:02 pmresulting in green/grey
The "green/grey" is a default texture for skins & models, kind of like in maps when a texture isn't available it automatically substitutes that white mushroom like pattern.
This is precisely what I aim to accomplish. Could you please show me if you know how to do this?"
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

First thing is to get an idea of how the skins for various models are 'set up' (and they are not all the same!). Open up the commandoskins.int and have a look at that - open up the Editor, load the commandoskins.utx in the Texture Browser and have a look at the skin, referring back to the int so you get an idea of where the 'bits' of the skin in the int go on the model.

If you want to remove the face, in the int at the beginning of the lines

Code: Select all

Object=(Name=CommandoSkins.cmdo2,Class=Texture)
Object=(Name=CommandoSkins.cmdo2Blake,Class=Texture,Description=Blake)
put a ; (this should prevent it from being loaded) so that they read

;Object=(Name=CommandoSkins.cmdo2,Class=Texture)
;Object=(Name=CommandoSkins.cmdo2Blake,Class=Texture,Description=Blake)
(I've chosen Blake at random since it the first one with a name, you can use whichever line/name you want) Save the .int - it is best to create a backup before you do any text changes though.

Try this ingame, having selected the Blake face in the Player set up (where it should be grey/blue) or by editing the User.ini so that under [DefaultPlayer] the line for the face just reads

Face=
I think this should work.

Be aware - you will get log warnings, perhaps a lot - and if you play on-line it may cause issues.

You will only be able to achieve this effect with the 3 or 4 parts of the skin, not with individual limbs nor with just the chest. Some models just have a one or two piece skin.
Dixzn
Novice

Post by Dixzn »

OjitroC wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:51 pm First thing is to get an idea of how the skins for various models are 'set up' (and they are not all the same!). Open up the commandoskins.int and have a look at that - open up the Editor, load the commandoskins.utx in the Texture Browser and have a look at the skin, referring back to the int so you get an idea of where the 'bits' of the skin in the int go on the model.

If you want to remove the face, in the int at the beginning of the lines

Object=(Name=CommandoSkins.cmdo2,Class=Texture)
Object=(Name=CommandoSkins.cmdo2Blake,Class=Texture,Description=Blake)
put a ; (this should prevent it from being loaded) so that they read

;Object=(Name=CommandoSkins.cmdo2,Class=Texture)
;Object=(Name=CommandoSkins.cmdo2Blake,Class=Texture,Description=Blake)
(I've chosen Blake at random since it the first one with a name, you can use whichever line/name you want) Save the .int - it is best to create a backup before you do any text changes though.

Try this ingame, having selected the Blake face in the Player set up (where it should be grey/blue) or by editing the User.ini so that under [DefaultPlayer] the line for the face just reads

Face=
I think this should work.

Be aware - you will get log warnings, perhaps a lot - and if you play on-line it may cause issues.

You will only be able to achieve this effect with the 3 or 4 parts of the skin, not with individual limbs nor with just the chest. Some models just have a one or two piece skin.
Unfortunately, I have tried that, and again with your method. The face ends up as Whitman, not to mention that Blake is still visible. Even in Player setup and offline match.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Dixzn wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:37 pmThis is precisely what I aim to accomplish. Could you please show me if you know how to do this?"
Sadly, no.

I used to poke around a lot in UnrealEd but I've no longer got access to the program, although I can tell you the specific texture, which only about 64x64 is in the Botpack.utx file somewhere.

There's over a thousand textures in that, might take awhile to find.
Dixzn
Novice

Post by Dixzn »

EvilGrins wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:01 pm
Dixzn wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:37 pmThis is precisely what I aim to accomplish. Could you please show me if you know how to do this?"
Sadly, no.

I used to poke around a lot in UnrealEd but I've no longer got access to the program, although I can tell you the specific texture, which only about 64x64 is in the Botpack.utx file somewhere.

There's over a thousand textures in that, might take awhile to find.

it said 32x32 here? is that what i need?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

No.

The texture is literally green & gray, but its small.

No little dragon head on it
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

I think when the skin of a Pawn can't be found or loaded, then it defaults to the texture S_Pawn (which is, I think, in Engine.u). Because that texture is 32x32 when it is applied to a larger surface it will be stretched and so give the green/grey (or what I call silver) effect.

Another thing to try is to export 3 of the four Commando textures, but not the head/face, and import them into a new .utx - naming it whatever you want. Create an int and try that in game. It may be that it will simply appear with the default Commando head/face as the TournamentPlayer class is coded in such a way as to avoid, as far as possible, loading the model without the skin (and all of its components).

Finally, export S_Pawn from Engine.u - import that as the head/face texture into your new commando texture file and try that ingame.

The broader issue is that I think you can only achieve what you want either by creating new utx files (quite a few if you want different parts of a skin to be 'textureless') or by getting someone to write a mutator to swap specific skin elements as a skin is being loaded in the game.
Baardman
Skilled

Post by Baardman »

You are correct that it is a missing texture. I found out this the first time i imported a custom mesh in Unrealed. You need to apply texture to that mesh/actor in its properties or it will be black and blue.

By this logic it seems to me you can simply delete a texture from a texture package (preferable not a UT99 texture but 1 from a custom texture package)

But i have not tried it on purpose myself.

I did find what you are describing online some time ago and posted about it over at Eatsleeput.
https://eatsleeput.com/d/494-player-mod ... ring-match

No idea how its possible if this was caused by my client or from the other side.
1713649059-821620-shot00340.png
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

This post reminded me of 1 of the first posts I made on this forum.

That'd be this · https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?t=3407
Baardman
Skilled

Post by Baardman »

EvilGrins wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:32 pm This post reminded me of 1 of the first posts I made on this forum.

That'd be this · https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?t=3407
Seems like someone placed the "bot actor" inside the map. I figured this out too some time ago. You can scale it up also. If you place the "player actor" inside the map and scale it up you get to play as a bigger character like in this video

Pretty funny.

I thought it was a bug at first hence the title. But apperently its normal.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Baardman wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:55 pmscale it up you get to play as a bigger character
I've done similar a few times, although it doesn't always stick after the larger thingy dies a couple times.