Original Character models 3ds and obj

Search and find cool skins and models, or introduce your own ones!
Baardman
Skilled

Original Character models 3ds and obj

Post by Baardman »

I dont now where i found it but it seems this are the original .3ds models you can use for 3dsMax that where provided by Epic probably for the modding community?
it has the proper material layout with colors to easely identify the skins/textures placement.
i included the models and also converted them to obj so its easy to use in Blender also.
i used it to make my first (crappy) skin. :)

So its Soldier,Fsoldier, Commando, Fcommando and Boss.
UTModels_3ds_obj.7z
(97.44 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Anyone think its a good idea to rig this with the ps2 rig?
Attachments
UT99Models.jpg
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Re: Original Character models 3ds and obj

Post by SilverSound »

I have no clue. that looks the same as the base .3d models from the game files.

It's missing all the vertex groups and animations. Would be really nice if there was a source version with the original animations.
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
Baardman
Skilled

Post by Baardman »

SilverSound wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:51 pm I have no clue. that looks the same as the base .3d models from the game files.

It's missing all the vertex groups and animations. Would be really nice if there was a source version with the original animations.
I dont think original animated models exist.
I imported another model some time ago with UTPT and Milkshape i think and got that weird exploded model wich i geuss are all (frames) for vertex animation.

This models above i got from a very old webpage archive on Wayback machin are only usefull because it got the skin layout colors and .obj so i thought it might be handy for new people and skinners and someone asked me on Reddit.
People no longer need to rip it themselfs but can just import it directly into any 3d moddl software

Sorry for the confusing title.
I think it should be possible to remake the original rig and animations from the vertex animated model but thats a hell of a job to do.

With vertex group you mean all individual framed models of the .3d model?

this one is vertex animated in 3dsMax (abbey)
vertex_animated.jpg
i could make a new rig and animated it or just rig it with the ps2 rig and use those animations. but i dont think its worth the time.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

That 3D pic in the first post would actually make for a good skin just like that.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Baardman
Skilled

Post by Baardman »

EvilGrins wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:39 am That 3D pic in the first post would actually make for a good skin just like that.
dont be deceived though, its just plain color but inside blender its "smooth shaded" it just how the material is rendered in the viewport.

btw i think i am mistaken my memory with the vertex animated (exploded models) i could find or make them anymore with any tool or program.
Seems its only from source .3ds files from custom models i think.
But why would anyone be interested in the original animated models?   
Auto merged new post submitted 4 minutes later
SilverSound wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:51 pm I have no clue. that looks the same as the base .3d models from the game files.

why/what would that be usefull for?

i did actually find all animations for UT2k3 in 3dsmax file format
ut2k3.jpg
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Baardman wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:30 pmdont be deceived though, its just plain color but inside blender its "smooth shaded" it just how the material is rendered in the viewport.
I may take a shot at it sometime, I've seen a similar base for that before... just a matter of seeing if I can track it down.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
SilverSound
Adept

Post by SilverSound »

Baardman wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:30 pm

The original UT boned animations would be useful for having the skeletal versions of them. So they could be ported to other games like 2004. it would also allow for easier animation of the current models.
IMO I like the UT99 animations the best out of all the animations that have come out for UT
Baardman
Skilled

Post by Baardman »

SilverSound wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:01 am
Baardman wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:30 pm

The original UT boned animations would be useful for having the skeletal versions of them. So they could be ported to other games like 2004. it would also allow for easier animation of the current models.
IMO I like the UT99 animations the best out of all the animations that have come out for UT

I dont think the original-original exist besides Epic's games basement maybe.

Would it not be possible to rig the original characters with the ps2 rig or whatever its name is? only some taunts are different so those should be made by hand.
im not sure if the other animations of that rig are much difference i have not really looked at it.

Rika member made a custom character with that rig and ported it to the original Unreal and UT99 i think
https://ut99.org/viewtopic.php?t=14355   
Auto merged new post submitted 12 hours 13 minutes later
This is the only trace of animated models i could find and the download links are death completely.

Nervedamage.com with Webarchive 1 of the earlier captures

https://web.archive.org/web/19990125101 ... amage.com/
Screenshot_20240224_182844_Samsung Internet.jpg
And its for Unreal not UT.
Attachments
Screenshot_20240224_183209_Samsung Internet.jpg
SilverSound
Adept

Post by SilverSound »

Nah it would need to be the original UT99 rig and animations. It's ok though.

It's really easy to import custom character models and such. Recently started as a small hobby project porting PalWorld pals to UT.
Untitled-3.png
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

SilverSound wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:31 pm Recently started as a small hobby project porting PalWorld pals to UT.
:shock: wait what?
And they work???
SilverSound
Adept

Post by SilverSound »

papercoffee wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:29 am
SilverSound wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:31 pm Recently started as a small hobby project porting PalWorld pals to UT.
:shock: wait what?
And they work???
Of course they do! :mrgreen: But I have to program the entire AI from scratch. That's a journey.
But the animations and the model work flawlessly in UT. Skeletal Meshes are very awesome!
AlCapowned
Experienced
Personal rank: Layman

Post by AlCapowned »

You probably got those from EpicKnights, which was a UT fan page by Epic animator James Green.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010711041 ... com/files/

It’s strange that he didn’t at least post the rigs, given that he did for the PS2 characters. He was a proponent of making UT character creation easier, and fully animated models would have helped immensely. Perhaps he wasn’t even allowed- iirc he left Epic due to death by a thousand cuts, and the last thing he tried to get implemented in a patch was Advanced Model Support, which would have been fantastic.
SilverSound
Adept

Post by SilverSound »

AlCapowned wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:19 am You probably got those from EpicKnights, which was a UT fan page by Epic animator James Green.

It’s strange that he didn’t at least post the rigs, given that he did for the PS2 characters. He was a proponent of making UT character creation easier, and fully animated models would have helped immensely. Perhaps he wasn’t even allowed- iirc he left Epic due to death by a thousand cuts, and the last thing he tried to get implemented in a patch was Advanced Model Support, which would have been fantastic.
Honestly even a leak of the rigs with animations would be enough to allow for forward porting of those original models. You know how much I've been wanting to get that for UT2004
Baardman
Skilled

Post by Baardman »

AlCapowned wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:19 am You probably got those from EpicKnights, which was a UT fan page by Epic animator James Green.

Probably Epicknights yes. Its 1 of the sites i archived tutorials from.
I could probably theoretical remake the original animations but thats monk work.
Found out it was Wotgreal that loads the .3d vertex properly. I coukd use this as reference
For a skeletal animation.

I dont know how much difference there is between original animations and the ones for
Ps2, i only know the taunts are difference.

I think rigging original characters with the rig of ps2 and add the original taunt
Would be something i consider to make.
Deepu
Adept
Personal rank: Average

Post by Deepu »

Boss.zip
(13.05 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
This is belnder file format exported from unreal editor and animated, I can export any models from UT and import to blender without loosing animations.