DM-Tron-SarksCarrier

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!
Helen
Novice

DM-Tron-SarksCarrier

Post by Helen »

Here is a Tron map I made. It has:
  • An accurate (and huge) moving model of the Sark's Carrier.
  • Accurate and moving Recognizers.
  • The game rings are incorporated as a challenge to get the amp.
  • Weapons that have a colour for their projectile are all blue, or, in the case of team games, red and blue.
  • Supports CTF and DOM.
  • Good game play, fully pathed.
Download available on these pages.
https://unrealarchive.org/maps/unreal-t ... ac911.html
http://www.birdieman.com/uttron.htm

The readme has details on what to expect for where/when the movers appear.

Last edited by Helen on Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 am, edited 6 times in total.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: DM-TronSarksCarrier

Post by EvilGrins »

Screenshots look great but didn't load properly.

Download also didn't load properly, but I got it. Had to right-click download it "save as".
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Oh that looks interesting.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:51 pm Looking forward to trying it :thuup:
Just did (got it from medor) and it's great!

Some of the projectiles have been altered to blue, in keeping with the TRON theme, and it seems both an advantage and disadvantage to be able to see through the flooring/ceilings from both sides.
Attachments
Shot0036.png
Shot0025.png
Shot0014.png
Shot0004.png
Shot0000.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Helen
Novice

Re: DM-Tron-SarksCarrier

Post by Helen »

I have provided a link in the first post.

Again the readme in the download has a lot of information about the movers and whatnot.
a9902957@nepwk.com
Experienced

Post by a9902957@nepwk.com »

This would be a good map for bounce, only if falling down would kill instead of being "tubed" right back up.
Cool one!
Also had some fun on your Unit map with the Night's Edge mod btw.
Helen
Novice

Post by Helen »

Unit, geez, oldie. I have a UnitIII I haven't posted anywhere, I streamlined it for better play. But it still needs a fix I have always meant to do. I should get at that. Thanks for mentioning it.
jmartin
Skilled

Post by jmartin »

Nice work Helen and Quick question: How did you light the movers in this map?

Because I noticed there are no Light Actors surrounding the Carrier or Recognizers, and also there are no Unlit Textures on any of the movers. I'm just asking because I know UT can be notoriously inconsistent in lighting movers. How did you do it?
Thanks.

---

Greetings Programs.

As a huge TRON fan, can't say enough good things about this map.

First of all, it's a great theme. Of all the maps for Unreal and UT, there are only about 5 or 6 Tron maps that come to mind. This is by far one of the best.

Custom graphics, custom audio, custom weapons, custom movers, custom programming and code. The whole enchilada. Even the flags are customized. Excellent attention to theme and detail. A lot of work went into this map.

One of the best new maps I've seen in years. Nice job! :tu:

And it's already been inducted into the Tron for Unreal page.

http://www.islandalien.com/trons4unreal/index.htm

By the way, here is a set of TRON skins for UT by David Lightman if anyone is interested, which might make a good add-on for this map.

https://www.davidlightman.com/wp-conten ... ON_byDL.7z

Thanks again.
Helen
Novice

Post by Helen »

That glowing praise, or is it me glowing, thank you very much.
jmartin wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:58 amHow did you light the movers in this map?
I think I have a single light actor down by the rings. Otherwise for the rest of the map, I set the lighting in a single place, you can right-click anywhere on the grid and select Level Properties, then expand the ZoneLight, and then set values for {AmbientBrightness, AmbientHue, AmbientSaturation}, and that will be the lighting for the whole map, including the movers. Caveat, if you add sealed off zone, it will need its own lighting, so you just add a zoneInfo to the zone, and same thing.

Normally I would set the level info light to a dim value, and then add lighting, but in this case, I chose to use the level info to set the actual light value i wanted for the entire map, then all the textures I chose kind of looked like they were self-lit already. A uniform light kind of works in this case, we're inside a computer.
jmartin wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:58 amAnd it's already been inducted into the Tron for Unreal page.
You have expanded my world, I didn't know there was such a page, very cool! I want to check out a couple of those maps for sure, and I'll have a look at the skins. I could probably update one of my mutators to have the bots use those skins when the map comes up in the rotation (on my server).

A couple more ideas I had for the map. I was going to do a light cycle on the floor. And also, this "cone" from the game:

but the map had already gotten laggy, which I reduced, then the builds were getting picky, so I had to finish it up.
jmartin
Skilled

Post by jmartin »

Ah, good to know.

I noticed, (through much trial and error) that lighting Movers in UT can often produce unreliable inconsistent results... at best.

Yes, there are only about about 7 or 8 other Tron maps that I've noticed, but I'll have to head over to the UAO and see if anything new has popped up.

Thanks again,

End of line.
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

jmartin wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:11 pm I noticed, (through much trial and error) that lighting Movers in UT can often produce unreliable inconsistent results... at best.
AFAIK the location of mover's pivot decides where light is applied.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
jmartin
Skilled

Post by jmartin »

I think that quite possibly could be a factor.

After much experimentation, I've concluded that it boils down to the quantum double slit experiment.

Sometimes it's a wave, sometimes it's a particle :-)

The trains in DM-TheWarriors for example. The moving trains are all “Unlit”, which guarantees they are always visible regardless of any other lights.

The natural “Lit” mover train in the train yard though, produces inconsistent results.

Sometimes it's lit correctly, sometimes it isn't.

http://www.islandalien.com/unreal/warriors/

Not sure what the deal is with that. So, sometimes for movers I use Lit textures, sometimes Unlit textures, and sometimes a combination of both.

Attachments
works.jpg
worksnot.jpg