Collab Mapping #01 - PHASE 3

Tutorials and discussions about Mapping - Introduce your own ones!

Which Domination spots shall the map have?

editor Dave01 (where the minigun is)
6%
Myth04 (where the ShockRifle is)
9%
Renegade01 (where the Sniper is)
12%
Myth01 (where the ShockRifle is)
15%
PsyXandeR01 (before the "Access control" door)
9%
GenMoKai02 (where the Flak is)
18%
SzGergo02 (right to the upper area of the excavator, in the small, cubic ancient room)
18%
Myth03 (where the ShieldBelt is)
No votes
Creavion01 (where the ammunition is)
9%
Filipe01 (where the ThighPads are)
6%

Total votes: 34

editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Re: Collab Mapping #01 - PHASE 3

Post by editor Dave »

Great, it works! Many thanks, @tack! :gj:

Here is the new DOM version:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P8SR63XQ

Now I ask you guys if you could look over the item placement and the bot action (especially concerning DefensePoints and PlayerStarts) in the DOM version and the DM version. You may also move Comtrol Points in the DOM version.

The earlier someone volunteers to improve the gameplay, the faster we can finally release the maps and could eventually start another round (I think Renegade had already an idea).

I rely on you!
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
SzGergo
Skilled

Post by SzGergo »

Some issues:

- sometimes bots get stucked at the CP of the excavator.
- for me the CPs at the lower temple, excavator and reactor room seems to be too close, they are liend up along a quite simple path. The one at the excavator and the lower temple are very close to each other.
- some places seems abandoned to me. I think one cp should be somewhere in the middle. Maybe the more powerful goodies should be placed in secluded dead-ends and outlying tracks.

but for me it is hard to see through the gameplay, since the map is huge and the layout is complicated and i am especially lame at playing DOM
editor Dave
Inhuman

Post by editor Dave »

Thanks for your tips!
SzGergo wrote: - for me the CPs at the lower temple, excavator and reactor room seems to be too close, they are liend up along a quite simple path. The one at the excavator and the lower temple are very close to each other.
- some places seems abandoned to me. I think one cp should be somewhere in the middle. Maybe the more powerful goodies should be placed in secluded dead-ends and outlying tracks.
This was the best solution if you consider the poll output. I am also of the opinion, that there must be a CP in the middle but than it is exactly on the planks of GenMoKai's third room or it is easy to reach from GenMoKai's cave.
The CP In Myth01 could be moved in Creavion's second room, so that the lower are will be used more often. And I still want to put something in the dead end of Psyxander's room but if it is a CP the gap to the next CP is too short.
I think it all turns out that 4 CPs suffice for the map. What do you think?
SzGergo wrote:but for me it is hard to see through the gameplay, since the map is huge and the layout is complicated
It is not easier for any other person :tongue:
SzGergo wrote:and i am especially lame at playing DOM
and you may do the DM version :)
LeviKOS
Average

Post by LeviKOS »

editor Dave wrote:This was the best solution if you consider the poll output. I am also of the opinion, that there must be a CP in the middle but than it is exactly on the planks of GenMoKai's third room or it is easy to reach from GenMoKai's cave.
The CP In Myth01 could be moved in Creavion's second room, so that the lower are will be used more often. And I still want to put something in the dead end of Psyxander's room but if it is a CP the gap to the next CP is too short.
I think it all turns out that 4 CPs suffice for the map. What do you think?
I agree, just 4 CPs. There's not enough space in the middle for another CP imo.
Also I would like to point you:
The small terrain brush of my third room isn't well lit. Make its surfaces with bright corners and high shadow detail on. It will look better :) Also delete Light1640, it's not used :|
There is still reference of that brick texture I'm not using anymore on my first room and that red trim texture too. Remove the reference.
editor Dave
Inhuman

Post by editor Dave »

@LeviKOS: I changed the things you mentioned.

@rest: Whoever it is, he may change the gameplay of either the DM or the DOM version, just as he thinks it would be the best. He has unrestricted freedom. I will not do it because the initial aim of the project was to integrate the whole community - which is you! Even if you have only little experience in DOM or DM, this and this guideline will help! So is there anyone willing to do the gameplay?
Renegade
Adept
Personal rank: Vigilante

Post by Renegade »

It's a large and convoluted map, but I can tackle weapon and power-up placement.
I know very little about bot-pathing, however.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

tbh. I don't know where to put this Control Points ....but ....I know ...I want to play this map.
This map is a beauty ...I like it how you can discover new areas.
Especially the merging rooms are well done.

for the Control P. placing we have to test the map with players to see where should be a Point and where not. if we don't test the map, we can't see if a room is used to reach the Point or totally avoided because it cost valuable time to go through a special area.
editor Dave
Inhuman

Post by editor Dave »

Renegade wrote:It's a large and convoluted map, but I can tackle weapon and power-up placement.
I know very little about bot-pathing, however.
Great, thanks! For which version will you do it? For both? :)
Bot-pathing is okay at the moment and doesn't need an improvement. The only things missing are the DefensePoints in DOM.
papercoffee wrote: for the Control P. placing we have to test the map with players to see where should be a Point and where not. if we don't test the map, we can't see if a room is used to reach the Point or totally avoided because it cost valuable time to go through a special area.
The playerstarts must be moved in the DOM version. Than we can secure that players will see every part of the map (when they are spawned in areas with less combats) and have to walk for a short time to reach the next ControlPoint.
That means at least four rooms don't have PlayerStarts. If there are still rooms that are not used one could place special powerups in these rooms.

I trust on Renegade, he will do his best :)
SzGergo
Skilled

Post by SzGergo »

hi there,
hmm, what's the current state of the stuff?
Does somebody fiddle with the map nowadays?
editor Dave
Inhuman

Post by editor Dave »

Renegade does the gameplay at the moment...
Renegade
Adept
Personal rank: Vigilante

Post by Renegade »

I've got the day off tomorrow. This should be done by Friday.
I've also got a collection of Map contest ideas that I'll post then too.
I'm hoping, if enough people are interested, to compose sort of a Fall map pack.
editor Dave
Inhuman

Post by editor Dave »

That sounds good! :)
Did/will you do both versions?
I'm looking forward to your result.
editor Dave
Inhuman

Post by editor Dave »

So, how's your progress, Renegade? :)
TheIronKnuckle
Novice

Post by TheIronKnuckle »

editor Dave wrote:After having run the pool for one week I decided to place the 5 ControlPoints in the map, but see what happens when you have an HD monitor...
ControlPointFail.jpg
Does anyone know how to fix this (without changing the resolution to 4:3)?
Scale down your HUD and/or increase your FOV.

I run at 1920x1080, with a scaled down hud and fov of 115 and the five dom points sit perfectly on my hud

Sorry if this post is irrelevant at this point. I'm still reading the thread. :P Bloody good work all of you. :)
editor Dave
Inhuman

Post by editor Dave »

Thanks for your support but I already got a script which scales down the HUD so one doesn't need to do it manually. And it works perfectly.

And welcomes to these forums. It's always nice to see another well-known person entering this place :D