FerBotz (new AI, XCGE release 20)

Higor
Godlike

Re: FerBotz (new AI, release 11.5)

Post by Higor »

Well, there are a few problems with air navigation.

Normal flying pawns can navigate in mid air and all (mantas), but Pawns with PHYS_Falling on them don't work that well.
Not to mention none of the native movement functions cover that kind of navigation.
Bottom line is, handling of every single air navigation device must be programmed separately.

At least 70% of the BotZ's movement is done using the usual native latent functions MoveToward, MoveTo, StrafeFacing, while the remaining ones are actually per-tick acceleration adjustments (water navigation is composed 100% of this to fix the BotZ from spiraling upwards or downwards when swimming).

====
Before venturing into this i'm trying to solve most of the common issues and restructure most things, starting with removing deprecated code and moving hacks and gametype dependant stuff into the plugins.
For example, I just fixed an issue with BotZ spawning before the game starts in dedicated servers and the updated the client interface to CL_2 that fixes spectating BotZ and the pulse beam not being attached to the bot.
Also, improved compatibility with MegaDomination (should be 100% fine now), Siege (not attacking team builds).

PD:
What is exactly a sw_jump pad?
Is it a simple kicker?
Old UT Veteran
Skilled

Post by Old UT Veteran »

Higor wrote:What is exactly a sw_jump pad?
Is it a simple kicker?
Yes, its a simple kicker that supports bots and automatically calculates the distance between two locations. One of them being the starting location and the other one of course is the ending one. They work really similar to teleporters. The starting pad will launch the player in the direction of the other tagged pad. Distance is calculated by itself and the pad will launch you with the proper high and speed in order to reach the destination. In addition, it also supports different gravity settings, making it the perfect tool in creating large maps and spots on navigating the map faster.

Here is the .u file if you want to take a look. Many w00t maps use them because they're way easier and simpler to use than the kickers themselves, and of course that they can support bots.
Attachments
swJumpPad.u
Navigation Point > Teleporter > swJumpPad
(23 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

sw_jump pads info

Post by Wises »

Old UT Veteran
Skilled

Post by Old UT Veteran »

It would be a good time to perhaps give us a progress report.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

My Windows partition got nuked.

I picking up the pieces and getting the c++ compiler.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Hurts more is that I lost my Visual c++ express 2008 customized for X64 compilation (had it researched back in 2009 for Dolphin emu).
Why the HELL does Microsoft software auto install on the windows partition? I wanna fu***ng choose my installation folders!!

Luckily for everyone here, my both UT setups are in 2 other different partitions so I didn't lose any data related to that.
It's just that recovering accounts and critical software was a priority (spent the last 2 days on it)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

With a Linux live-CD can you read out (most of the time) your HDD.
I hate it when ever this happened. Good luck for restoring your stuff.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Before creating the actual air nodes, I'll release a few more gametype fixes (11.9 lol?).

Found a good way to make BotZ roam the map when no inventory is around, and added a gametype plugin plus weapon compatibility with my upcoming Betrayal mod.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

You can change a registry entry so the default Programs folder is where you want it.
This worked well in the 9x days, but now it is best setup early as you end up with 2 Program files folders.
It is best to leave anything already in the first one as it is.

You can make your own windows install script, that sets all the folders where you want right from day 1.

...no too tired..can't remember where in the registry. Don't forget if the drive is mechanically fine, then you can salvage most of the contents.
http://my.opera.com/dr-flay/blog/recovery-tools
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Air nodes are just like normal nodes, only that they have a huge detection range (3500 units default) between themselves, and that same range divided by 10 for ground points (350 default)
The only usage these have is to make mantas follow the player lol.

Since these air nodes have the property bFlying (exclusive to BotZ nodes) set to true, all reachspecs passing through this node will be marked as 'Fly only' so only pawns with bCanFly set to TRUE will be able to locate targets via these nodes.
I decided it like this to prevent calling SpecialCost event on the node itself, after all, the bCanFly checks are done by the engine and therefore faster.

A good way to make a BotZ artificially use these is either:
- Manually set bCanFly on the BotZ when picking up a fly item, this may alter how their physics is handled though.
- Create a dummy pawn that will do the pathfinding for the BotZ.

Then, individually code each flying state variation for the BotZ, sort of simulating what MoveToward() do in state code.
I can already predict a few of these custom states:
- Flying pawn (jetpacks)
- Remote projectile (redeemer)
- Pawn + projectile (quantum fighter jet)
Old UT Veteran
Skilled

Post by Old UT Veteran »

Wow, thanks for the update!
Really excited about this. I will be waiting patiently for the release.

Btw, what about the sw_jump pad and that one Unreal map you wanted to implant the new air nodes in? :lol2:
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

I got a couple of w00t maps but they use kickers.
Know of a map that uses these sw_jump pads?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Higor wrote:I got a couple of w00t maps but they use kickers.
Know of a map that uses these sw_jump pads?
I could be wrong ...but I think Swanky's X-mass map use sw_jump pads.
Did you download our X-mass Competition pack?

Or do you search explicit for a w00t map?