Ghosting

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
VRN|C-18
Skilled

Ghosting

Post by VRN|C-18 »

Ghosting is forbidden on most public UT servers.
If you hold walk or crouch if goin into a teleporter or standin on a trapdoor or even a platform youre actually pushed down from, your actual body with all its targetzones will remain in the air invisible for everyone. your "ghost" will drop to the floor wher it can be seen by all players. Ghosting can be used in a cheatingly way as in snipin from a teleporter or in a half cheatingly half useful way. in bt for example you will avoid deaths by bein pushed from spots or by unpreparedly runnin into a teleporter which would literally spit you out on a vicious fall which ends in death most of the time. so whenever i play a map i havent playd before and ther is a teleporter which i consider might take me to a fall i would hold walk or crouch when i go into it and release it as soon as i know wher it took me too^^
its intrestin to know.. lame to use it if you ask me.
peace
MaZ
Needle + UT + Sex = Life and some Blood -_-
banner made by myth 8)
what the fuck.. september11 woke me up.
Dare
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 God

Post by Dare »

I didn't know that 8)
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

Dare wrote:I didn't know that 8)
VRN|C-18
Skilled

Post by VRN|C-18 »

hehe its nothin new actually.. i first found it out late 05 when i playd bt for the first time.. i used to hold crouch when i jumped on poles or blocks in order not to fall down.. however once i hold it and was pushed down by some sort of mover and i remaind in the air like described above.. thats how i found out bout Ghosting.. im not the first who noticed tho^^
banner made by myth 8)
Dare
Inhuman

Post by Dare »

I know when you hold crouch or walk than you can't fall off edges, same when you hold crouch or walk when on a moved that moves into a wall or comething, you say in mid-air but i didn't know about the invisible part.
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

UT99's physics is highly polished and optimized. It doesn't rely on highly precise calculations, but only on some predefined behavior on predefined cases. And these are the side effects.
VRN|C-18
Skilled

Post by VRN|C-18 »

well nothin is perfect.. its rather useful.. same goes for bouncin.. however i regard both methods sort of lame and weak.. nonetheless UT is NEARLY perfect a game in my opinion 8)
banner made by myth 8)
Dare
Inhuman

Post by Dare »

UT99 is extremely good, the bouncing is good and i don't class that as cheating, some maps like SlideBitch you need to bounce.
hannibalbarca

Re: Ghosting

Post by hannibalbarca »

how in the hell did you find that out u must have a lot of free time non your hands :bio: :chainsaw: :enforcer: :flack: :flag1:
TheCorey
Experienced
Personal rank: Evil mapper

Post by TheCorey »

C-18 already said how he found out about ghosting. But if you mean the Uboucning, I think someone found that out while playing BT-Marverick and was in a hurry and happened to jump at the end of the slide... and boom!
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

Yer bouncing... I sometimes by accident do it on a w00t map :D
I think bouncing can be cool and fun if it's not overused.

Also, I discovered some Z-shifting on my first computer on which I played UT. Lemme see: 16MB ram, 233Mhz, 2Vram, No 3D accel. >>> 5 FPS ! LOL !
So when I "tried" to play a larger map or more bots then it didn't only lag (even more), but also .. in one frame I was above everything and then suddenly below everything.
Maybe it's a still existing bug or dunno. That was a long time ago, and when I installed win98 on that old comp and managed to run UT again (just for lol) it didn't do that Z-shifting anymore.
[MS]Kalku
Average

Post by [MS]Kalku »

We call it imagedropping. If a user gets caught using this glitch to cheat we usually ban/kick him/her.
Virtuoz

Post by Virtuoz »

I think that that is right...
Church

Post by Church »

thx for the tip
Krisse

Post by Krisse »

U can do it to when doing faint death then move+suicide.
u'll leave ghosts behind