Project Reminiscence - FoT 6 Announcement

Discussions about UT99
DeathoX 8
Experienced

Re: Project Reminiscence - FoT 6 Announcement

Post by DeathoX 8 »

UTPe wrote:Sorry, this is off-topic but you really need a simple and basic reply.

I respect everyone worked on UT99 in the past, works today and will work on UT99 in the future.
I always gave credits for maps and other packages built by mappers/developers (this is a must for me and I hope this is the same for others) but my personal respect stops here: if I need to share a single map in a map pack (or, for example, I need to install a single map on a server or even I want to mod a map), I zip it and share it with friends or team mates without problems. Why ? because there are no copyrights over maps and you don't have any copyrights even though you think you have: only Epic has some copyrights because we all use a software by Epic (Unreal Editor) in order to build maps so only Epic can say if something is "forbidden" or not, surely not you.
Probably you have been playing UT99 by many years but you never understood this basic rule. I don't think it's ridiculous, I think it's only sad.

If you don't want to share your "free" work, it's ok, don't do it, you can simply remove brushes from your maps or obfuscate your code, I don't care about it at all.
You can do what you want, it's the same for me.

regards,
Pietro

Without being too lenghty as others have already responded, you are confusing yourself with trademarks. As Quillion says we all have copyright on our works. So you can not take any user created content and modify and rerelease it unless either the copyright or the author himself gives you that permission.
As Revelation said there's nothing wrong with doing little changes for your own use, but the modified versions shouldn't be made publicly available anywhere.
You may find it sad, but I agree with Rev that when you start spending hundreds of hours in Ued you'll see how forgiving you are when someone takes your map, does very minor changes to it, and publishes it as his own content (I saw a mapper in UT 3 release new "versions" of others' maps with slightly altered post processing... and I lost the count of how many "XXX clan" versions I saw over the years, with just a few logos scattered around).

Just because it's free it doesn't mean that you can do what you want with it (even open source software has different kind of limitations in most cases). No one is going to send lawyers at your door for an UT map (the files will get pulled down from file hosting services, though), but it's just really a matter of respect towards the people that spent several hours to provide you some entertainment. You might feel entitled to do whatever you want with the content that was created by others, but putting altered versions online you're specifically going against the wish of its authors. That doesn't sound like respect to me.

Feel free to PM me if you want to continue this discussion further :)

Hort wrote:Generally true but not 100% - EPIC technically retained all copyright. From the EULA

18.(c) We just LOVE the idea of you using and distributing content or script from any prior Unreal branded game developed by Epic in your Mod. Therefore we grant you a license to use content from any prior Epic Games Unreal� game in your Mods. For the sake of clarity Epic retains all copyrights and you will not gain any ownership whatsoever in any Epic content or script nor can you use any Epic content or script outside the scope of the rights granted here. Any attempt to do so will bring about the wrath of our attorneys.
The copyright claim is relative only to the original content of the Unreal games (Unreal Engine, default models, textures, sounds, etc.), not any user created content.
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

I logged this great ut99 fórum to say to timewarp folks: those pictures does look sexy and appealing nice to see you mappin again

pd: Your homepage timewarp is down from Bu hosting? ...odd!
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

Yes BU cleaned house years ago. Most of the hosted sites including files are down there. :(
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

That's great news! I can't wait for updates :)
Good luck!

And please, the copyright discussion has been revived so many times now. Follow Crev's link, read our opinions and let it be.
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

Yay... Again the permissions...
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

ASLYE702 wrote:Yay... Again the permissions...
Nope.png
Please continue (if all of you like so) the copyright discussion in another thread. This thread here is dedicated to the announcements and talking about the FoT6 project.

Thank you
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

Not me started, all the same...
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

Post by Myth »

So, anyone can join in?
When will this happen?

It would be fun to make a map again. I have an idea but not the time but maybe I can find time for it.
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

Since we have already started, anyone can try to join in. A few members will review your layout / architecture / idea / hopefully everything else and give you feedback about it, and possibly include it into Project Reminiscence. HortonsWho and 2_Face from UP are thinking about joining in, too. I do know Horton has made a map for the very first FoT package but he also stated that he hasn't touched the editor in years and we will have to have a thorough check of 2_face's works. Just contact me privately with your idea and we see how it turns out. :)
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

Hey Myth, please reply to my PM!!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

ASLYE702 wrote:Not me started, all the same...
That's why I did write (if all of you like so) ...
Your post was the one I could answer with a funny picture.
So ...don't sweat :mrgreen:
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Yeah, yeah, last post was at January...

...But that's exactly why I'm bumping this thread...

Are there any news of the FOT6? Is it cancelled or in development?

The only thing I hate more than bad news is no news at all. :cry:
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

The only thing I can tell you: Something is happing within the internal forum part of the mappack. For the remaining less fans: If you are lucky you might get your most likely final quality mappack before the curtain falls.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

FoT have always made quality maps imo

in fact Iam looking at building a server just for maps like these.. perhaps combined with some NW3 thrown in there for good measure.
Perhaps.. We should have a Server Building competition RAAAWG.. hehe

-count me out

hehe.

but it would be good if someone built a fully customised server dedicated to these guys great works for all to see in action :)

-count me in

How about this for some mapping idea's .... simple concept .. four islands in the Pacific.. four flags and bases.. players need to travel between the islands via SLV's.. ships in the ocean attempt to foil their plans .. whilst Cybots eagerly await them at each island.. and in the clouds sits a dude with access to 1000 Level7 Redeemers.. and just blasts the shit out of everyone.. (Combine this with some advanced bunnytrack to get there and it would be wicked)

bah forget that.. lol.. was simply trying to imply to include some NW3 Weapons into the Maps and maybe an SLV or 2 ;) combined with a little bit of BT to get to the powerups perhaps.

Good luck
:rock:
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

Hi sorry to bump this post, any news of this possible new pack for ut99?
Thanks!