Free public redirect project

Discussions about UT99
UTDeath
Skilled
Personal rank: Tournament Champion.

Re: Free public redirect project

Post by UTDeath »

Well, since I spent so much time without UT and even then I didn't know much of it I have to say that I have no idea what this is about. Servers, redirect, those words make me go "Eh, what?"
Nevertheless, I would love to help in any way I can. We have to keep UT alive.
You cannot kill what is already dead.
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

UTDeath wrote:Well, since I spent so much time without UT and even then I didn't know much of it I have to say that I have no idea what this is about. Servers, redirect, those words make me go "Eh, what?"
Nevertheless, I would love to help in any way I can. We have to keep UT alive.
very simple this one there UT_Death ,

a Redirect is something which is used by alot of games (assumably) and deals with the sending-of-files part of the game.
without a redirect , your server sends the files to the player. however this tends to cause alot of lag and problems.. especially in UT99.. and probably other games using the same engine.

ok .. soo... the redirect in this instance is another server somewhere which sends clients the files (instead of them being sent from the game-server itself)

hope that makes sense.

anyways.. what these chaps are trying to do .. is address certain issues with redirection which have plagued ut99 for its entire life.. the main and trickiest problem is one of File mismatches.. <<-- when you have 2,3-10 files all with the SameName.u ... This causes a break in the redirection services and breaks the client/redirect_server relationship forcing clients to download files from the game_server @5kbs per/sec.. or something.

anyways .. there are idea's concepts being discussed as to how to remedy this , however because UT does not have much in the way of communicating via HTTP_Requests some ingenious idea's/concepts are being concieved , ie; ferali has mentioned using a Server Id / Check system.. , Jack is looking at using the cache as a way of fixing this..

be interesting to see what the final works would be.. and if indeed this could be fixed (non natively)..

TBH , there is a need for a non-softcock who could just fix this shit engine and release the patch. (problem is most coders need / want to have their name associated with their works) this particular project for the sake of legality would have to be anonymous. ;\

../
UTDeath
Skilled
Personal rank: Tournament Champion.

Post by UTDeath »

I think I got it now.
I understand why a coder would like his / her name on it but in such situation it shouldn't be done as it's for the best of the game.
I don't think I can be of much help with this but I would still like to do my part.
You cannot kill what is already dead.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Alright guys the redirect has now gone *LIVE* and files are being added as we speak. By tomorrow it will be in a usable state with enough files to make it worthwhile. I have approx. 25GB of stuff on upload.

Anyone may use this redirect and I urge it especially for those with limited resources. the redirect address is

Code: Select all

http://66.197.194.21/redirect/
and you can watch as the files go in.

Now that you can see and taste it, don't be shy to get yours added too. See me and I'll get you sorted.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

JackGriffin wrote:Alright guys the redirect has now gone *LIVE* and files are being added as we speak. By tomorrow it will be in a usable state with enough files to make it worthwhile. I have approx. 25GB of stuff on upload.

Anyone may use this redirect and I urge it especially for those with limited resources. the redirect address is

http://66.197.194.21/redirect/
and you can watch as the files go in.

Now that you can see and taste it, don't be shy to get yours added too. See me and I'll get you sorted.
You should spread this all over the UT boards ...but I think you did this already ...So ...I will be silent again :mrgreen:
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

So here's the deal.

Last night I notice I'm having trouble uploading files to the redirect. Things have been going great for days, and now all the sudden I keep dropping my SFTP connection. I was a little tired last night so I wrote a message to scarface asking for a bit of help and I went to bed.

I get up this morning and the site was just savaged. Being new to Linux I left something open somewhere (God knows what) and someone decimated what work I had done. I don't know if this was UT related or just some Linux-fag doing it because they could but....damn... Why destroy this? There was absolutely nothing on the server except for UZ files. You couldn't look and see that? And if you did then you still had to fuck things over?

One of my Dad's favorite sayings was "No good deed goes unpunished" and the older I get the more I see this. I've spent the last 3 days hammering uploads into this thing trying to get it usable and ready and someone didn't hesitate to just destroy it completely. Oh and for no good reason other than 'cause I can'.

That'll do it for me gentlemen. Good luck with things.
$carface
Skilled

Post by $carface »

On where did you pm me Kelly ? Sorry I couldn't read it in time to prevent it :/

EDIT:
I browsed the redirect early GMT about 10am and it seemed fine

EDIT:
If you can't do this GoPo, no problem. Just let me know so I can get things in gear.
$carface
Skilled

Post by $carface »

Medor. If I make you FTP account can you upload the uz to a server I have hosted?

Anyone have / know a PHP script that can login to other servers with FTP and transfer directories? If so, with the public redirect?
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:
$carface wrote:Medor. If I make you FTP account can you upload the uz to a server I have hosted?

Anyone have / know a PHP script that can login to other servers with FTP and transfer directories? If so, with the public redirect?

I PM you
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

$carface wrote: Anyone have / know a PHP script that can login to other servers with FTP and transfer directories? If so, with the public redirect?
Use:

wget -r ftp://user:pass@ftp.someserver.com/home/directory
-r = Recursive bulk transfer.
$carface
Skilled

Post by $carface »

I know wget and how to use it....I wanted a php script so that I can download uz's from other sites...
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I can't believe the morons out there!
No one could benefit from trashing the redirect. Vandalism or a grudge are the only reasons for this.
I hope they left enough of a trail to find them.
Would the host service have any extra info?

BTW. Server to server transfer is easily handled by FXP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_eXchange_Protocol
IglooFTP is the one I use. http://iglooftp.com (Win/Mac/Linux)
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

Problem is.. some vendors ie this bulk-whoever leave all ports open by default.. the more secure ones close all by default. ;)
You then need to open the needed ports as necessary.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

JackGriffin wrote:So here's the deal.

Last night I notice I'm having trouble uploading files to the redirect. Things have been going great for days, and now all the sudden I keep dropping my SFTP connection. I was a little tired last night so I wrote a message to scarface asking for a bit of help and I went to bed.

I get up this morning and the site was just savaged. Being new to Linux I left something open somewhere (God knows what) and someone decimated what work I had done. I don't know if this was UT related or just some Linux-fag doing it because they could but....damn... Why destroy this? There was absolutely nothing on the server except for UZ files. You couldn't look and see that? And if you did then you still had to fuck things over?

One of my Dad's favorite sayings was "No good deed goes unpunished" and the older I get the more I see this. I've spent the last 3 days hammering uploads into this thing trying to get it usable and ready and someone didn't hesitate to just destroy it completely. Oh and for no good reason other than 'cause I can'.

That'll do it for me gentlemen. Good luck with things.
No clue in the logs as to who the bastard is? Something should be done about it.

People really do suck. I haven't done anything at all with UT since I read this.
blarg
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I took most of the last week off the computer. I was really pissed over this and I didn't want to say something angry. Please let me close this project out correctly though and fill you in with the rest.

The server was being hammered almost from the time it was switched on. I'm going to post some logs here but I'm not going to post the IP that actually succeeded in getting in. It resolves to a proxy connection anyway, bounced through one of Hotspot Shield's servers. You Linux guys would enjoy scanning this log, you will see how I was learning to use putty and attempting to set up a usable FTP server within the redirect. I ended up just using SFTP as I could never get the FTP to work right. The non-Linux guys will still enjoy looking at the never-ending attempts to gain access to the server. Anyway, feel free to look. This is a small portion of what was happening (log is lengthy and attached).
auth.zip
(96.7 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
Yes, that's my real IP. Yes, I did not scrub the logs of my personal stuff. I don't give a shit any more, there's nothing left to hack at.

Apache and everything installed OK, the server was visible and useful. When the person who trashed the server connected they knew what they were doing. They basically walked right in, cleared the Auth.log and trashed the server (above was a save I had made the day before). Apache was pointed towards non-visible folders to take the site offline and the redirect folder was emptied. I could still putty in but couldn't stop it, mostly because I didn't know how. This person didn't seem to have root access as the password was never changed but nothing else was off limits to them (I think).

I logged out and contacted the host. They gave me their access records but it wasn't much help. As I said the accessing IP was proxied.

Shortly after this I talked with Ferali and he gave me some advice, which I took to my son's tech teacher actually. They have a LAN party at the High School every Friday and I talked with him about what had happened. He confirmed what I had been told, there are vulnerabilities in Ubuntu 12.04 and in fact he was going to set up a webserver in the class and allow it to be taken over by hackers so the kids could watch it "live". It's a shame they missed this one :rollseyes:

It was my sincere hope that this would be left alone but it wasn't. I made it clear that it was only for redirect files and the site structure showed that but it still wasn't good enough. I've spent a lot of hours and time helping a shitload of people in UT fix things, this wasn't deserved. Yeah UTP made cheating hard for a little while but if that's the payback reason it's a weak one.

Anyway as I said this really takes the wind from my sails. I probably will just go back to being a random player when I feel like a little UT action and leave this stuff to the people who are obviously more capable than I am. Huge thanks to Scarface and Ferali for the help they offered and gave. I'm sorry directly to the people this was going to help too. You are the ones who suffered the most.

OK, that'll do it for this project. Peace gentlemen (and you too paper :pfff: )