Free public redirect project

Discussions about UT99
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Free public redirect project

Post by papercoffee »

Damn pagebreak
JackGriffin wrote:I took most of the last week off the computer. I was really pissed over this and I didn't want to say something angry. Please let me close this project out correctly though and fill you in with the rest.

The server was being hammered almost from the time it was switched on. I'm going to post some logs here but I'm not going to post the IP that actually succeeded in getting in. It resolves to a proxy connection anyway, bounced through one of Hotspot Shield's servers. You Linux guys would enjoy scanning this log, you will see how I was learning to use putty and attempting to set up a usable FTP server within the redirect. I ended up just using SFTP as I could never get the FTP to work right. The non-Linux guys will still enjoy looking at the never-ending attempts to gain access to the server. Anyway, feel free to look. This is a small portion of what was happening (log is lengthy and attached).
auth.zip
Yes, that's my real IP. Yes, I did not scrub the logs of my personal stuff. I don't give a shit any more, there's nothing left to hack at.

Apache and everything installed OK, the server was visible and useful. When the person who trashed the server connected they knew what they were doing. They basically walked right in, cleared the Auth.log and trashed the server (above was a save I had made the day before). Apache was pointed towards non-visible folders to take the site offline and the redirect folder was emptied. I could still putty in but couldn't stop it, mostly because I didn't know how. This person didn't seem to have root access as the password was never changed but nothing else was off limits to them (I think).

I logged out and contacted the host. They gave me their access records but it wasn't much help. As I said the accessing IP was proxied.

Shortly after this I talked with Ferali and he gave me some advice, which I took to my son's tech teacher actually. They have a LAN party at the High School every Friday and I talked with him about what had happened. He confirmed what I had been told, there are vulnerabilities in Ubuntu 12.04 and in fact he was going to set up a webserver in the class and allow it to be taken over by hackers so the kids could watch it "live". It's a shame they missed this one :rollseyes:

It was my sincere hope that this would be left alone but it wasn't. I made it clear that it was only for redirect files and the site structure showed that but it still wasn't good enough. I've spent a lot of hours and time helping a shitload of people in UT fix things, this wasn't deserved. Yeah UTP made cheating hard for a little while but if that's the payback reason it's a weak one.

Anyway as I said this really takes the wind from my sails. I probably will just go back to being a random player when I feel like a little UT action and leave this stuff to the people who are obviously more capable than I am. Huge thanks to Scarface and Ferali for the help they offered and gave. I'm sorry directly to the people this was going to help too. You are the ones who suffered the most.

OK, that'll do it for this project. Peace gentlemen (and you too paper :pfff: )
:shock: what? ...what did I do?
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

I love you paper, it was just a joke. You are one of my bestest UT friends ever. I'm sorry it came across wrong. I meant it as you aren't a gentleman (joke).
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

JackGriffin wrote:I love you paper, it was just a joke. You are one of my bestest UT friends ever. I'm sorry it came across wrong. I meant it as you aren't a gentleman (joke).
Ah ... I... I'd know this .... *cough* ...I gotta go.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I am glad for your own sanity and health, you made a quick decision, and had a break.
Vandalism never makes any sense, but this has left everyone reeling with shock and not even knowing what to say.
Even though I put no work into the server, it feels like may has well been a personal attack on any one of us.
This was a project, for us, by us, that would harm no-one.

:tu: Your sons IT teacher should be highly praised. I doubt his lessons are standard. All schools should be run on Linux.
Get him to record the experiment and post results/edited vid. They may also find it useful for deconstruction.

I'll leave you with the motto of my home, Cornwall. (and hopefully raise a little faith in humanity)
I live every day by our motto, as even though we all may never meet, our lives effect each-other in one way or another.
It's consequences always have a positive chain-reaction, and it always reminds me what we can do as a team.
Spoiler
The crest of Cornwall includes a shield with fifteen gold balls, which represent the ransom raised for the Duke of Cornwall, captured by the Saracens during the Crusades. Every Cornish man and woman contributed to the ransom, and this led to the Cornish Motto "Onan Hag Oll" ("One And All") being created.
The old warrior-style heraldic crest was replaced by a common bird and recently common people, guarding the crown.
"Onan Hag Oll" or in English "One And All"
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

JackGriffin wrote:One of my Dad's favorite sayings was "No good deed goes unpunished" ...
Queen Elizabeth was once quoted saying;
QE2 wrote: Grief is the price we pay for love...
..and dear as that price is, it is not one we grudge paying.
your father was a wise man ;)