Help with getting 2 laptops to play UT99

Discussions about UT99
JJacks
Novice

Help with getting 2 laptops to play UT99

Post by JJacks »

Help a non-tech idiot, feel smart, and do your good deed in the process!

I will be attempting the <daunting> task of getting two laptops to be able to play UT99 together (without hitting the internet) and wanted to check my general "plan" with people much smarter than me before proceeding. Please bear with me since I know that asking this question here is like asking Mozart how to hit a c-chord...Way beneath your expertise. Please note that any help is greatly appreciated!

To get two Laptops running Vista connected to each other to play UT99:
#1: I'll need a router. (yes-this is a serious assumption)
#2: I'll need to adjust firewall settings for each computer
#3: I'll need to get each computer to recognise each other
#4: I'll need to test it by attempting to connect within UT under the LAN option whilst doing 1-3.

I am as determined as I am clueless, so any guidance is welcomed! Thanks in advance!!
rohitggarg
Adept
Personal rank: The name is Bu||et

Re: Help with getting 2 laptops to play UT99

Post by rohitggarg »

Haha.. the style of asking questions makes me assume that your are not a total noob :)..

#1: You will not need a router if you are sure that only two systems are to be connected. You can ask for a crossover cable from the shop.
#2: Yes, you will need to turn off firewall or add UT.exe as an exception to firewall policies in both systems. Or you can choose to enable UDP port 9999 for all programs.
#3: Yes, and to do that you need to put the IP address of both the systems have same mask. This way you can make the systems look like being on the same lan. I would recommend the IP addresses to be in the C class. i.e. 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3 having subnet mask as 255.255.255.0 and no gateway or DNS addresses.
#4: After doing all the settings, just host the UT server on one machine. Connect to the server on the machine having the server hosted by IP address 127.0.0.1 and the other machine by whatever is the actual ip address of server is. (either 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.1.3).

All the crap that I have written above will work for sure coz i have done this before :).. So enjoy buddy!!
Regards,
Rohit

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN.............

My website : http://www.appointmentagent.com
JJacks
Novice

Post by JJacks »

rohitggarg, you rock! Thank you for the details! While I appreciate your assumption and compliment, I am indeed nearly a total noob! :noidea I am however determined to make this work so I can get back on UT99 with a buddy of mine after 4 years off... Must Have UT!!!

A few confirmations/clarifications so I don't completely screw the pooch:

1. Crossover Cable from store
2. Kill the Firewall or make exception (UDP ports are beyond comprehension)
3. Update both IP addresses as detailed -- Any hint on where in the computer the IP address can be updated? (this question alone gets me at least 75% to noobville...)
4. I think I can wing it from here if I remember the options around hosting a multiplayer UT game.

Have you thought about IT consulting as an endeavor? I'd pay in beer or drink of choice!

Thanks again!
Chris
rohitggarg
Adept

Post by rohitggarg »

Okay... confirmations roud

1. Absolutely
2. Killing the firewall is the best option if you are upto it.
3. Umm .. now that gets too much OS specific.. I would suggest that you visit http://www.home-network-help.com/set-ip.html and if it doesn't help then probably please post your operating system type.
4. Hehe yea sure and if you are having confusions, do check out the server section in the forum and you will become certain about things that need to be done.

oO.. I think you should check my profile in ut99.org :tu: ..and yea i love beer but i am not a heavy drunkard so excuse me :)
Regards,
Rohit

JJacks
Novice

Post by JJacks »

Ha! I like your Profile (and your avatar!) very cool! I hope things are well in India! You make an excellent technical ambassador to the US and to South Carolina specifically!!

I think you have successfully helped a noob above and beyond all expectations: I thank you!

1-3 - got it! and thanks for the link--it makes sense now!
4 - Just want to make sure that when you say "hosting the UT server" in your prior response, you were referring to clicking on "Multiplayer," selecting "Start New Multi-player Game" and walking through those options... and then "opening a location" to identify the IP to join... It makes sense (I think), but it seems too easy... I'll be trying it this weekend with my friend and his laptop, but I am trying to plan ahead so we have a better chance of making this work! 4 years is a long time without UT99!!

Sorry for all the questions! I'm definitely bringing down the average IQ on this forum!... Again, I appreciate your expertise and guidance!
rohitggarg
Adept

Post by rohitggarg »

You are always welcome!! Helping is never a matter of distress to me be'coz most of my day is spent like this only at work..I am glad that it helped you play UT after 4 yrs.

Also, the point #4 is in order.. Do have play with your friend and post back the results in ownage thread maybe :mrgreen:
Regards,
Rohit